Non-stop Agressive Silver Tipped Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotcom02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank setup. I planned on doing catfish and a few smaller type Plecos in the tank so that's why i have a 40 gallon setup. I had 2 plecos and 4 panda corys in the tank prior. A friend convinced me to get some tetras so I went to the LFS and got 6 Silver Tipped Tetras. They schooled for the first day which was expected but a few days later all the do is chase each other around the tank all day. Weird thing is the biggest one stays behind the big decor in the rear of the tank. I'm worried because recently they dart at my smaller corys as they go up the walls of the tank but wouldn't nip or get too close at them. The tetras completely ignore my plecos.I have several large decorations in the tank but the middle of the tank is kinda wide open cause the bottom feeders I have.

Is there anything I can do to calm them down? Natural behavior? Reduce or increase amount of them? More Decor? I just dont want them kill each other or harm my other fish in the tank.

I've got some silvertips - they are very active fish but mine are not particularly aggressive. This doesn't sound much like aggression - do you think they are stressing the cories by their behavior?

I doubt very much they will kill one another or your other fish. I've got a lot of floating plants in my tank and I think that might help calm them down a bit. Hornwort, or something similar.

I had silvertips a few months back and I enjoyed them. For the first 2 weeks they were really active and chased all the tank mates around the tank, after a week they calmed down and only chased each other around the tank. Like the above poster said it doesn't sound much like your fish are being aggressive. They're just active.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I was worried the behavior would get worse out of them but maybe it was them just in a new tank. I heard they like shaded areas and so I'll add some more decor and plants in the middle and see if helps.

I had a group of them with my gold gourami and angelfish. Pec fins would grow, pec fins would get nipped.

Removed Tetras to office tank and pec fins haven't been nipped since.

Back
Top Bottom