Noooooo power!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My power is out from an ice storm. 3 tanks with no generator. Using a cup to oxygenate the water and temp is staying stable so far.

Any suggestions on what I should do? :( it's going to be 15 in the morning...

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

I'd start by wrapping some blankets around the tanks to try and retain some of the heat.

Will do!

Caleb

~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.

If you have a gas stove and the temp starts to drop you could heat water on the stove but not too hot and pour into empty water bottles. Let them float to help with temp.

Okay they are all covered!

Caleb

If you have a gas stove and the temp starts to drop you could heat water on the stove but not too hot and pour into empty water bottles. Let them float to help with temp.

Great idea will definitely do this if it becomes a problem.

Caleb

Power is back on thanks guys :) will remember if it happens again though

Caleb

Also invest in a few battery powered air pumps with airstones. It won't help with the temp, but it'll keep the fish with oxygen until the power comes back on and your filter works again.

Reactions: HN1
Just for future, I live in quebec, we got a power outage for 20 hours because my neighbourg house went in fire. It was doing -20C° outside, no heating inside.

My reef temperature went from 27C° to 14C°, wich is not good for corals. Also I tought oxygenation would be a problem, none of my three tanks suffered from that. My freshwater tank went from 26C° to 12C°.... That's a community tank, with tetras and cardinalis and some shrimps... I was freaking out ! Thoses cardinalis are so sensitives...
The power went back, temperature went to normal, nothing happened.

I guess if you tank is not overstocked, and fishs are healty, you don't need to do anything for 24 hours.

If oxygenation still stress you, you can buy cheap battery powered airpump for 15$.

For future reference, you can take a plastic bottle, pour in some de icer ( that bagged stuff you use to get rid of ice on walkways), and fill with water. The water and de icer create a chemical reaction that produces heat. Just make sure the bottle is sealed well so none gets in the tank.

For future reference, you can take a plastic bottle, pour in some de icer ( that bagged stuff you use to get rid of ice on walkways), and fill with water. The water and de icer create a chemical reaction that produces heat. Just make sure the bottle is sealed well so none gets in the tank.

Doesn't this chem reaction will create a gaz, so pressure ?

No gas is produced. Here is a link on using it to make hand warmers. It is the same principal as for a tank. This instruct able uses plastic sandwich bags so plastic bottles are not problem. You can also use those hand warmer packets sealed in sandwich bags.

Back
Top Bottom