Nooooooo, great now i have 2 fish left

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
this fish was fine yesterday swimming, eating etc, then to day i could not see it i moved a plant and there it was dead, i now that i have an internal infection as 1 gourami has white poo, but iv done everything to treat it and nothing, but its happy, swims eats and has been for about 2-3 months, anyone now why this fish died, water is fine as well as filter and heater.

It dose look like it has a spinal problems, but iv never seen it like that before i think it was the way it was dead by the plants that may have curved it, but i cant be sure, any help would be great!!!!

Iv added a pic of the 2 other fish left, any you can see that rong please tell.

Curvature can be post-mortem or can be a sign of prolonged malnutrition (can be caused by internal parasites) or fishy TB. What have you treated with? Medicated foods work best.

yeah but you cant get any food meds here UK or any antibiotics :-( this is this worst part of fish keeping, the only thing i have from use, is Maracyn- Two...??

Lets hope, i guess its only 2 fish in the tank so if i were to put it in and all the good bacteria were killed would i have a ammonia spike as its 2 fish in a 30gal? it was such a random death, can i fish die from being lonely?

A clearer picture is needed in order to figure out why the fish are dieing.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

i now that i have an internal infection as 1 gourami has white poo, but iv done everything to treat it and nothing, but its happy, swims eats and has been for about 2-3 months
That's a long time for a fish to go with an infection that doesn't spread. Depending on what you are feeding them will influence what color their waste is.
Fish will die from time to time from various causes--heart attaches, suffocation, liver failure, etc. Unless you are able to do a necropsy, the reasoning behind most fish deaths are unsolved. If the water quality is not an issue, living quarters might be. Gouramis are not known for being peaceful tank mates with each other. A fish that is chased, nipped at and generally stressed by other fish will die.

Sorry the fish is down the loo,

1) Well its dead, the 2 remaining 1's, the blue 1 has nothing wrong with it, other than white poo, really there is nothing visibly wrong with it, other than white poo, it been swimming eating fighting, everything just as it was months ago. THe little red dwarf is fine but it has an little ulcer on it mouth ( left hand side) but i never see it poo, but it eats and swims and looks okay! its 2 gourami in a 30 gal tank can they really h8 each other that much?

2) ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ( nitrate 20 because the tap water is that high)

3) 30 gallon, 6 months

4) fluvel 205

5) 2 gourami

6) 2 days ago, i do the a vacuum every 3-4 days and remove 5-10% at a time.

7) 5 and a half months!!!! erm leave the bag in the water for 30 min then mix then and leave it again for 30 min.

8) nope

9)nope, tetra min crisps and once a week bloodworm.

BTW i have had alot of bad things happened eg filter broke, spike of ammonia all the fish got ill lost about 20 tetras from this strange illness, ( not the same illness as the yellow that just left me ) there has been spinal problems, and fin rot, ish cuz it just split!

Soo yeah......

its 2 gourami in a 30 gal tank can they really h8 each other that much?
Weirder things have happened; although, they could be getting along. I just want to throw all the possibilities out there.

Are you currently treating the tank with anything?

Yeah aquarium treatment 9, cures diseases with symptonms such as bacterial, gillrot, dropsy, ulcers and septicaemia,

Its the closes thing that comes to curing internal probleams....

great, what fish a labyrinth and what is that, and what do angel fish and tetra's come under, is there a web site that tells you this?

Anyway up date, the fish seem to be getting better, more active as well as much more egger for food! Thank you :)

A labrynth fish is a fish that has a special organ that allows it to breathe air - in small amounts. This doesn't mean the fish can survive out of water... it jsut helps it when its in water with smaller amounts of O2.

Labrynth Fish include Betta's and Gourami's.

I know Melafix is argued to be bad for these fish.

That danio looks to be a little overweight? Did he seem to be bloated?
Only feeding two types of food could be part of the problem. Too much bloodworms are known to cause bloat. Some microwaved, shelled peas every couple of weeks can be very good for them to prevent bloat.

he looked okay but yeah i agree RoK he did look like bloated and so do the rest of the fish, il try and see if they will like the peas, cheers! Thanks for the info sudz :)

wow dad just was about to kill me lol he said u cant feed fish peas :roll: BUT i now u can so i will when hes out, anyway are frozen birdeye peas okay for them or do they need to be fresh?

They should be fine. Just microwave 'em for a couple seconds and take off the shells.

i think the 2 fish i have left is going to go down to 1 :-(

My little dwarf gourami is not so good :-( very twitchy and skittish as well as very very quick fin movements and staying in 1 spot them soooooming 2 another is he being builded to death by the blue gourami? its going crazy as soon as i move its going mad first time iv seen this it staying at the bottom of the tank!

Update now the other 1 is going crazy and not eating garrrrrrr its just NOT fun anymore

30gal
fluval 205
Nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 20
No air thingy, never had 1 to loud for me to sleep! ....
just stopped dosing with a anti internal med! and added carbon (note after strange behavior)

help again :oops: this is just getting stupid

I merged the two topics to make sure all the information is together.

Describe exactly what is happening when they "go crazy." Are they darting to the surface; side to side? Are the fins intact? When is the last time they ate?

Back
Top Bottom