Normal behaviour for platies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Every once and a while my platies seem to get agitated and dart around at high speeds and then dive at the bottom off the tank. They will actually hit the sand on their sides. Is this normal? They don't seem to be directing this behavior at each other or any other fish.

My water parameters are all good and I did a pwc yesterday which hasn't changed anything.

Probably normal if your water is good. They seem to be a pretty crazy fish. Mine are jumpers. Not uncommon to find mine on the floor flopping around.

Scraping on the substrate could be a response to parasites? But if its only once in a while, probably trying to evade an over amorous male?

Oh- I should have mentioned that- even though they are a male and a female I haven't seen the male be 'amorous' once. :)

But if it sounds normal that's good... they seem so angry I was sure something was irritating them... but it is only once and a while.

Yes, I remember that from the aquarium I had when I was young (waaaay back when). It seemed like a constant pursuit. I guess she's not his type ;)

Back
Top Bottom