Normal for XP3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got an XP3 filter and I am running it on an empty tank to see if I can get rid of some of the coudiness from the substrate before doing massive water changes tomorrow. I noticed something as I am just sitting in the room with this tank. Every once in a while...5? 10? minutes the return will shoot a burst of bubbles for a split second. Is this normal? I checked for leaks, as I thought if air was getting in, water must be getting out, but I see no leaks. Can someone explain this to me? I don't mind it if it's normal. I'm just afraid something is not working properly.

Edit: On closer inspection, now that I'm looking only at the tank, it's a lot more often than I thought at once every half minute.

Not normal. Did you try tipping it a little to help get rid of more O2 in the canister? If that doesn't work, then you have a leak. And water won't always come out, especially if it's a suction leak where it's only taking in air. Turn the sytem off, check all tubing and tighten all clamps if you use them on the tubing. I don't use any myself and have no leaks. Also, make sure that all the hoses are pushed onto the fittings as far as you possibly can. That helps alot. Also, make sure the quick-disconnect is on securly. These leaks are usually either on the intake hose side or the quick-disconnect.

Edit:
Also, after you properly prime the canister, it will give off bubbles for a short period, usually no more than a couple minutes. This is normal, but then should stop.

I'm watching it and the bubbles went back to every 5-10 minutes. I'll check for leaks. It just seems strange that it's not leaking uniformly.

its air inside. mine does that once in a while, just tilt it forward and backward to get the air out.

I have no advice but I have been meaning to post something similar. I have noticed a bunch of really fine bubbles coming out of my xp3 and the occasional small blast too. I don't relaly mind, but sometimes it makes my water look dusty when there's teeny tiny bubbles floating around. I will try rechecking absolutely everything, because it never did this before I moved.

Yeah, I am still getting bubbles, but a smaller amount and finer. I'm not sure if I did it when going to inspect the filter, but the filter was on top of it's power cord, slightly tilted. Maybe that fixed something. Also, my water level isn't at the top yet since I'm just filtering out some of the cloudiness right now. One of the joints on the inlet tube is above the water line. I put some drops of water there, and they are not getting sucked in, so I don't think that is the leak point.

Here is what their customer support told me when I was having trouble:

Dan,
Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.

You should always have at least a half inch of air trapped in the top of the canister and this is considered normal.

However, you you begin to experience air surging, then I would be more concerned. Air surges can happen when the water level in the base drops below the bottom of the filter motor. This can be due to a bad seal or clogged filter media(pads). Your black filter pads can be rinsed and reused monthly. Replace them as needed, but they should last more than six months. The white pad is for water polishing and should be replaced monthly. It cannot be rinsed and reused or it will cause low water flow.

If your filter motor is not at least 24 inches below the top water level of your aquarium, you will have problems with air and poor water flow.

Another problem we have found is that people are filling their canister base with water and then clamping the motor on. This will cause flow problems and leaks, as you may not get a good seal between the motor and canister base, due to the media baskets moving around and not staying in place. Over filling a media basket will cause this same problem. Always fill your canister with water through gravitational siphon, as the directions show.

Any air devices run near the filter strainer or an oversized air pump used on an aquarium may cause the build up of air in the canister and cause air surges as well.

Also check the Quick Disconnect mechanism to make sure that it is seated correctly in the motor housing. An improper connection with the motor can cause air to seep in and cause air surging.

Check the small black plug on the outside of the filter motor, it is located near the power cord. If it has been pushed in too far against the motor housing, it can cause air surges. It is designed to let trapped air vent from the rotor(impeller) area. If the plug is flush with the motor, use a flat screwdriver to back the plug off just 1/32 of an inch. This will allow air to vent from the rotor chamber and may fix the problem.

If none of these situations are applicable or you wish to discuss this further, give me a call at 1-800-847-0659.

Best Regards,

Brian Bridgwater
Technical Service and Research
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Mars Fishcare Group

I am definitely getting the air surging, and this occurs once every five minutes, give or take a couple of minutes. I will check all these things and hopefully this problem is solved, although I think most of these should be correct as this filter is new and I have checked connections.

Edit: I see what is happening now I think. The water on the inlet is coming down so forcefully that it is create air bubbles, which are getting sucked into the outlet.

theotheragentm said:
I am definitely getting the air surging, and this occurs once every five minutes, give or take a couple of minutes. I will check all these things and hopefully this problem is solved, although I think most of these should be correct as this filter is new and I have checked connections.

Edit: I see what is happening now I think. The water on the inlet is coming down so forcefully that it is create air bubbles, which are getting sucked into the outlet.

this is very common in Renas.

You need new O-rings. They are a wear item that needs replacement.

Back
Top Bottom