Normal levels help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leannaby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi can anyone tell me the normal levels

Tested mine today as I got my own kit ?

Results were

Ph 7 - 7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Thanks

Hi can anyone tell me the normal levels

Tested mine today as I got my own kit ��

Results were

Ph 7 - 7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Thanks

Normal levels for ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm if the tank is cycled.

Normal levels of phosphate (PO4) and nitrates (NO3) depends if you have a planted tank or not.

In a planted tank you want to keep nitrates <30ppm with a ratio NO3:pO4 of 10:1.

In a non planted tank, the lower is the best.

It's not normal you get 0ppm for nitrates, except if you just done a 100%WC. Probably you are using a two bottle kit from API, bottle #2 must be shaked as if your life depends of it. Shake it, bang it, reshake it... etc.

If it's a 3 bottles test, then do this for bottle #3.

In my tank I keep;

Nitrates <20ppm
PO4 <1-2ppm

I don't recommand you buy an API PO4 test, I never got any readings with this test.

Nitrates go up by themself if you have cycle established and fish or other source off amm to feed the nitrifying bacteria.

Your reading of 0 makes me wonder if you measure it right. Did you shake the #2 bottle well? Did you shake the test seringe well?

You have to follow nitrate test instructions perfectly. Put in bottle 1, shake the test tube. Then shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds, put in tube. Then shake tube for 1 minute.

Yes I've got 8 guppies and 6 neon tetras 5 glolight tetras.. 3 black neon tetras and 3 african dwarf frogs.. I've had a couple of tetras die since starting

So you cycled the tank with fish in, you can't have zero nitrates as this point then. Unless you're changing large amounts of water and have lots and lots of live plants.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394656713.846007.jpgthis is my tank.. It does have a few plants and I have been doing 50% wc weekly with a very good gravel vacuum

It could be 5ppm if that's a big tank then your stocking is low and combined with 50% water changes 5ppm is possible. If depends what size tank is it ?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom