Normal part of my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cizkaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been running this 10 gallon with 4 fish for 1.5 months now and the cycle seemed to be progressing normally... I have 2 Zebras Danios and 2 Neon tetras originally which is hardly overstocked for 10 gallons i will add more later if i don't give up first since both species are schooling fish. For awhile my nitrites and ammonia stayed at 0 but as per the norm my nitrates would go up before water changes occurred. Today I tested my water as I do every 3-4 days right now. My ammonia levels are off the charts all of a sudden even after regular 20-25% water changes every few days. I have not changed my filter elements as there is no need they aren't clogged or falling apart. mY live plants are healthy and decay free. All ive done recently was add some algaecide about 1.5-2 weeks ago. i have discontinued feeding and will for a couple of more days. I did 2 50% water changes today. The first water changed killed one of my tetras and I think that's my fault because I failed to temperature match in a half panic over my ammonia levels. The fish are not acting stressed as far as i can tell. The danios are hyper and swimming in circles as usual and I have used API Ammo Lock alongside my SeaChem Prime when changing that water and i have vacuumed the gravel. The water going into the aquarium is 0ppm ammonia. Once it goes in however its sky high 8 ppm+ even after both water changes there is no reduction. Is this possibly part of my cycle ie the ammonia spike? I understand my ammonia levels will still read high after neutralizing it to ammonium but I am just really confused what Is wrong if anything or of this is normal in a cycle? I really enjoy fish keeping but im getting ready to give up after numerous disasters trying to establish an aquarium. Attached are test results of my water that are about 1 hour old and done using an API Master Test Kit. Any ideas anyone?

My first thought is to test your tap water. It's possible that could have dramatically changed to give you ammonia problems like you're having. If that tests at 0 then just keep up with the water changes but instead of doing 25% changes go with 50% instead.

Thank you for your timely reply.

I did what you suggested and found some perplexing results when testing my tap water, water previously treated with Prime (this morning) i had stored in the usual containers for my next water change, water freshly treated with prime, and my aquariums water. Here is what I found. (picture included: left to right tap, fresh treated water, stored water, aquarium) Tap water 0 ppm ammonia, Fresh treated water 0 ppm ammonia, stored treated water off the charts 8+ppm, Aquarium 12 hours after inital high 8+ reading 5-7ppm ammonia. What on earth is going on? I did this test with stress coat+ and got the same results if i stored it or let it sit. This used to not happen this has started recently. What on earth is going on?!

Link to water tests:
Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

I wonder if residual algaecide is effecting the chemical reaction in your test kit?? There is no way neons would survive 8 ppm ammonia.
It is also important to store your test kit away from any extremes of temperature.
Are you confident the kit is ok? As you say your fish appear healthy, it is clear that the reading you are getting can't be correct.

I bought a new kit today I am waiting for the moderators to approve my post with my recent results. I did another 50% water change tonight however and my tank ppm is down from its supposive 8 to 4 ppm. I tested my water I had prepared treated with Prime and stored this morning after doing a 50% change and it was off the charts just like my aquarium wound up my tap water is 0 ppm as is the freshly treated with prime, water i just added to my aquarium. I guess i should wait till tomorrow and do a 25 or 50% change in the morning and again in the evening until i get this under control?

Back
Top Bottom