Not A Understanding Mom HELP! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Aston

Aquarium Advice Freak
I do the water changes like you are supposed too , but in the past I have made a bit of a mess of them all

My mom doesnt want the hassle of them and doesn't think I should one.

My smaller fish tank is actually starting to get cloudy as I haven't been able to do one for 2 weeks.

Could some people write the importance of doing a water change as I dont want a dirty tank nor do I want upset my fish!

My mom wont listen to me so maybe what you guys say will persuade her.

Thanks Very Much
Aston

Did your mother have to clean up your mess? We do water changes on 4 tanks weekly and there's no mess involved. What's going on?

Your mother doesn't need us to tell her why water changes are important. You can tell her that. But it sounds like there might be some disrespect going on and she's grown tired of it all.

Did your mother have to clean up your mess? We do water changes on 4 tanks weekly and there's no mess involved. What's going on?

Your mother doesn't need us to tell her why water changes are important. You can tell her that. But it sounds like there might be some disrespect going

She thinks I am doing it to wind her up which isnt the case.
on and she's grown tired of it all.
In the past I have dropped heavy buckets and so on.

But I dont really make much mess at all. She doesnt know why you need to do a water change. I tell all the reasons why it is important but she doesnt listen so if you came from someone elses mouth then she should listen to them.

Ok, I'm coming from the position of being a stepmother. I have an incredible relationship with my stepson and we can talk about anything. He does not have the same with his mother. There's a lot of anger and disrespect on both sides. So, she doesn't listen to him. He doesn't listen to her. Pretty sad.

Not sure how old you are, but I highly suggest you try to open a comfortable line of communication with your mother. It's her house, you have fish at her discretion.

Google "water changes" and find a good article you can print out. Go over the article with her. Don't try to force her to understand, help her to understand.

This might not address any core problems, but if you're using a bucket, would a python water changer help to persuade her? No buckets or major spills then, everything into and out of the sink directly. A practical approach like that, coupled with LyndaBs suggestions might help.
Here's an Amazon link, but you can find them at pet stores, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YAJKL6

If your mom did not have to do any of the work, like clean-up, she might be more inclined to let you do waterchanges...

Go and buy yourself some towels to use if you have a spill. Put one down in front of the tank to catch any drips. Then afterwards you are to wash and dry them for next time. Show her you are responsible for your fish AND their mess.

Yes I have a python isnt that a gravel cleaner?

I dont empty the tank by buckets . Its come out of this tube into the bucket.
Gravel Vacuum And there is a tube attached to that then goes into the buckets.
Is that python
She is starting to understand about how to care for fish now as she has fish in the lounge too. They havent been touched for 3 months now :errm: They get a fed a bit of flake. She is going to help me to both of my tanks in my rooms and I am going to help her. Teamwork so we have finally come to a agree on this matter :) Yay

My children can't have aquariums as they don't do well with responsibility. They ask me regularly if they can have one for their rooms. MY answer, Sure, as soon as you can take care of it and maintain it perfectly all by yourselves. I have my own aquariums. Why would I want to take care of theirs as well? Be more responsible and take care of your own aquariums and your mother will come around. If she has to continue the "team work" to take care of your responsibilities she will tired of it quickly.

Mom, water changes are important for many reasons.

1) To keep nitrate levels from reaching toxic levels.
2) To replenish trace elements that fish need in water.
3) To remove unknown contaminates that accumulate in the water, like household cleaners.
4) To keep fish healthy.

That is a few of the reasons out of many.

Fishy Aston said:
Yes I have a python isnt that a gravel cleaner?

I dont empty the tank by buckets . Its come out of this tube into the bucket.
Gravel Vacuum And there is a tube attached to that then goes into the buckets.
Is that python
She is starting to understand about how to care for fish now as she has fish in the lounge too. They havent been touched for 3 months now :errm: They get a fed a bit of flake. She is going to help me to both of my tanks in my rooms and I am going to help her. Teamwork so we have finally come to a agree on this matter :) Yay

That's great! It depends on your where your tanks are setup, but I think one of the things people like about the pythons is that if you get a long enough one, it goes straight from the tank to the sink with no buckets on between and then is filled the same way. Sometimes tanks are just too far away from a water source to work though, and that might be your case. Hope that things keep working out!

That's great! It depends on your where your tanks are setup, but I think one of the things people like about the pythons is that if you get a long enough one, it goes straight from the tank to the sink with no buckets on between and then is filled the same way. Sometimes tanks are just too far away from a water source to work though, and that might be your case. Hope that things keep working out!

Yes thanks :)

She doesnt know much at all about fish :facepalm:

But she now knows that is is important to do them on a regular basic .

So

THANKS GUYS!

My children can't have aquariums as they don't do well with responsibility. They ask me regularly if they can have one for their rooms. MY answer, Sure, as soon as you can take care of it and maintain it perfectly all by yourselves. I have my own aquariums. Why would I want to take care of theirs as well? Be more responsible and take care of your own aquariums and your mother will come around. If she has to continue the "team work" to take care of your responsibilities she will tired of it quickly.

Mom, water changes are important for many reasons.

1) To keep nitrate levels from reaching toxic levels.
2) To replenish trace elements that fish need in water.
3) To remove unknown contaminates that accumulate in the water, like household cleaners.
4) To keep fish healthy.

That is a few of the reasons out of many.

She wants to be part of it then she can help so there isnt a much mess and then she can learn to do her own tank on her own one day soon. :)

You have to get her into the hobby and then she will understand. I let my mom name the saltwater fish and pick out what coral and things she likes, now she will watch the tank for 20 minutes at a time! Haha :) its all about getting her into it, because now my mom takes me to the lfs and enjoys listening to fish talk, etc. If your mom picks out a fish, dont let that fish die or she will be scarred.

Make sure your waterchanges and maintance is clean and easy or els your mom wont like it, just like my mom. Hahah, try and clean up the tanks abd dont ever let them get messy or dirty, this will also repulse her

You have to get her into the hobby and then she will understand. I let my mom name the saltwater fish and pick out what coral and things she likes, now she will watch the tank for 20 minutes at a time! Haha :) its all about getting her into it, because now my mom takes me to the lfs and enjoys listening to fish talk, etc. If your mom picks out a fish, dont let that fish die or she will be scarred.

Make sure your waterchanges and maintance is clean and easy or els your mom wont like it, just like my mom. Hahah, try and clean up the tanks abd dont ever let them get messy or dirty, this will also repulse her

You know :cool:

Nu-Nu the eel said:

Good practice for when you have a wife! :lol: :ROFLMAO: hahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom