Not satisfied with my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's looking better. I would get a black background, and then a large rock formation and another piece of driftwood.

It's looking better. I would get a black background, and then a large rock formation and another piece of driftwood.

Where would you put the rocks? Right now there are only a few square inches in the back that don't have plants. Convict I believe its roseafolia sadly its dying.

Where would you put the rocks? Right now there are only a few square inches in the back that don't have plants. Convict I believe its roseafolia sadly its dying.

Thanks for the info. Why do you think it's dying? How long have you had it? I'm very new to plants so I'm curious. There beautiful.

Thanks for the info. Why do you think it's dying? How long have you had it? I'm very new to plants so I'm curious. There beautiful.

I think its dying because I don't have enough light it looks horrible in person right now. I've had it for a month or so. I will be replacing it with red tiger lotus its an easier lily like plant that IMO should still give me the red green contrast I'm looking for.

Red tiger lotus is an amazing and beautiful plant, but is not a very good idea for your tank sadly. It's root system grows to be ENORMOUS and could easily take over your tank. Straight up lol.

If I could throw out a suggestion, it would be to add Dwarf Sag in the spots where the roseafolia is. Dwarf Sag is very easy to grow and will create a carpet.

Some big, bushy java fern would look great in the back to create a little height. Also I second the dwarf sag idea.

Idk about java fern I have one and it grows little java ferns on it and they eventually break off and will settle them selves I just find it as an ugly plant wisteria is a big bushy plant ( I actually need it for my tank) it's a pretty plant but yeah I wouldn't do java ferns

If it werent for the pleco i would suggest a crawfish

BUT

There is a very peaceful option out there if you have the money.

I personally own an orange mexican dwarf cray which will max out at 2inches

he is probably the most peaceful craw out there and he IS THE ONLY plant friendly craw

IMO i would worry aout him getting bullied but brittle nosed plecs dont grow very large

They fetch around 20-30 dollars each

Just get a good hiding place for him

Ex. Driftwood, rock formations, artificial cave.

Readily accepts shrimp and algae pellets and he is a great cleanup crew aswell!

I have to agree I have a crawfish as well and they are probably better than my pelecos when I had them they actually will sift through the rocks to eat which also cleans you might have to fix the rocks sometimes though

If your tank is above 20gallons and you have some decent hiding places your pleco and the orange crawfish can coexist

For height in the back you may not be able to see hit there is lots or ludwigia repens in the back.

I will look into the dwarf sag. Will it carpet over driftwood?

For the cray I'm not sure if I could even have access to some there are some new laws here that make them even more expensive.

Okay so I looked at dwarf sag and I'm not a huge fan of the look. However I was at my lfs today and saw red melon swords. I think that adding one where the right patch of roseafolia is and adding a medium sized piece of driftwood where the left patch is as. I'm still not sure about the recommendations about the lotus. Won't pruning it frequently fix that.m

Edit do you guys think a dual 18watt t5no 6700k fixture would work for the melon swords.

Edit 2: how would this look? I'm pretty sure I want the red melon on the right but I'm debating whether to even put a red melon or perhaps an ozelot on the left or maybe nothing at all just a larger piece of DW on am angle.

image-1973429770.jpg

Back
Top Bottom