Not satisfied with my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not really satisfied with my tank. It contains 2 angels and an albino bn plec.

For plants I have various crypts and amazon swords. Why should I add to make in nicer here are a few pics.

image-2053158096.jpg

image-1560761318.jpg

image-2735649055.jpg

Sorry about the bad pics.

I think it looks good! Maybe add a piece of drift wood or a small flower pot and make it a cave and put the plants around it. I think that would look nice :)

I can see a painted background (black) Some nice branching pieces of driftwood and maybe a nice center piece driftwood with some java moss attached to it and glue some anubias to the driftwood, also maybe a few small smooth river rocks. Give the tank some height and the illusion of being bigger.

The painted background will give it depth, It will make it appear as though the tank goes back further then it does.

Just my 2 cents

Maybe add some taller plants along the backside, like vals. And some taller driftwood, too. Is this a 20G high? I have the same tank. Needs tall stuff!

I'm working on painting the background on mine right now. Might try that, too. Can add a lot of color for cheap.

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Maybe add some taller plants along the backside, like vals. And some taller driftwood, too. Is this a 20G high? I have the same tank. Needs tall stuff!

I'm working on painting the background on mine right now. Might try that, too. Can add a lot of color for cheap.

Its a 29. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I have decided that I will most likely be adding some more plants perhaps more driftwood and a school of ten cories. Thanks

I have decided that I will most likely be adding some more plants perhaps more driftwood and a school of ten cories. Thanks

+1 with Convict on a black background ... a world of difference. Taller plants and DW as mentioned should add another dimension.

+1 with Convict on a black background ... a world of difference. Taller plants and DW as mentioned should add another dimension.

Here are the plants I would like to possibly get have any of you kept them. Most of them are background.

Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia

Angustifolia

Hygrophila srricta

Totals roundifolia

Pigmy chain

Okay here is the plan I will ad some driftwood, roseafoli, ludwigia repens, corkscrew vals, and some more anubias.

Here is the layout I would like.

image-234903953.jpg

Hopefully you guys can read my horrible writing.

Hey I like your tank. And it does look good with the plants. I would suggest a couple larger plants in a back corner and a black back drop. Here is a pic of my tank with a black background. (Mine is artificially planted tho :( )

image-1145734826.jpg

Okay I received my order from aqua flora and planted the plants. It looks bad IMO I hope the plants grow and don't just stay the little compressed masses that they are now. I'm rather disappointed in the quality of aqua floras plants. Here are a couple pics.

I hope to by some corkscrew Val's for the far left corner.

image-3101849983.jpg

image-1415369598.jpg

image-2532630653.jpg

image-4087617102.jpg

image-3542173179.jpg

Awesome! Good job. Looks good. You should try and maybe add a branch or 2 of driftwood coming out from the corner with the corkscrew vale. :) but kudos! :)

Right after planting things may not always look the way you expected on paper. The plants will go through some changes in the next few weeks as they adjust to the tank. Some may die off while others thrive. Don't be too tempted to remove an ailing plant; some shed most if not all leaves, especially crypts. I thought all of my Sagitteria chilensis died out and after pulling one out, I discovered new roots and new growth in the center of dead leaves. I trimmed off the dead growth and replanted it.

I'd move the sword from the front right corner to closer to the rear on the right side. Otherwise the crypto wendtii green will be hidden from view. If possible, move the driftwood to the right under the AC filter. Or to the left; you want to avoid direct center. Yes, corkscrew Vals would look nice in the left rear corner. Other plants you could try to fill the vertical spaces are bunch plants like anacharis, cabomba, and ambulia. They grow relatively fast toward the surface and you can simply cut and replant them.

Right after planting things may not always look the way you expected on paper. The plants will go through some changes in the next few weeks as they adjust to the tank. Some may die off while others thrive. Don't be too tempted to remove an ailing plant; some shed most if not all leaves, especially crypts. I thought all of my Sagitteria chilensis died out and after pulling one out, I discovered new roots and new growth in the center of dead leaves. I trimmed off the dead growth and replanted it.

I'd move the sword from the front right corner to closer to the rear on the right side. Otherwise the crypto wendtii green will be hidden from view. If possible, move the driftwood to the right under the AC filter. Or to the left; you want to avoid direct center. Yes, corkscrew Vals would look nice in the left rear corner. Other plants you could try to fill the vertical spaces are bunch plants like anacharis, cabomba, and ambulia. They grow relatively fast toward the surface and you can simply cut and replant them.

Okay thanks for the ideas. I just hope that my roseafolia survives and thrives.

Okay thanks for the ideas. I just hope that my roseafolia survives and thrives.

Okay I bought some corkscrew vallisneria. Sadly its not in the greatest shape but at least I got a discount. I will add some pics.

The roseafolia still doesn't look great but the ludwigia seems to be growing.

image-4253801026.jpg

image-1806505053.jpg

image-2180807956.jpg

image-299102339.jpg

image-3335659044.jpg

image-1074511885.jpg

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG
Hey callisto,

That painted background has a real calming effect. Very nice...

David

okay, here are more update pics if anyone is interested.

I will be removing the roseafolia as it is dying, spreading out the ludwigia repens, bunching up the anubias in the front, adding a new peice of driftwood in the front left side of the current driftwood, and adding a red tiger lotus to the right side of the wood where the roseafolia currently is.

Attachments

• IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4454.JPG
    IMG_4454.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4468.JPG
    IMG_4468.JPG