Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not sure whats wrong

I have an albino rainbow shark and I'm not sure if theres something wrong with him. Ive only had him since saturday so it hasn't been a week the first two days he was swimming around like a nut and now he just kinda hangs out in the corner of the tank at the bottom kinda underneath where the heater ends. Every now and then he'll move n swim around then goes back to the same spot.. I don't know if it's the food, I was told that he'll eat the same as the other fish tropical fish flakes but i thought they ate something else.. The water temp was at 78-82 but my parents had the ac on n the tank got cool and the temp was 76-80 could that be it too? He's my favorite and I don't wanna loose him :-/ any help please!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Look It Up

Hi, how long has the tank been set up? Has it been properly cycled before adding the fish? It could be ammonia poisoning. Are you doing water changes, and if so how much and how often?

If you have a test kit, please post your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite test results here. If you don't have one, get one ASAP (a liquid test kit like API's Master kit is best, the strips are cheaper but very inaccurate). Take a look at the link in my signature (new tank with fish).

What you should do first is a large water change with dechlorinated water (Prime is best if you can get it) and temperature match the water. Then test your water and post the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels here so we can help further.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

how big is the tank? what are his tankmates?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

So he didn't make it... I only had him 4 days.. I check the water every other day apparently there was an ammonia boost (if that's possible) so yesterday I did a water change ( 3/4) the other fish are fine (8 columbian tetras) nit adding fish for a while and def checking water everyday now instead of every other. It's a 25 gallon tank I was in the process of getting him a bigger one but now I'm not.. Not adding fish for awhile.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnJ040310 View Post
So he didn't make it... I only had him 4 days.. I check the water every other day apparently there was an ammonia boost (if that's possible) so yesterday I did a water change ( 3/4) the other fish are fine (8 columbian tetras) nit adding fish for a while and def checking water everyday now instead of every other. It's a 25 gallon tank I was in the process of getting him a bigger one but now I'm not.. Not adding fish for awhile.
Sorry to hear about your albino Rainbow. Are the colombian tetras still fine?There is a chance it was just bad stock. Continue to monitor your parameters and do PWC's accordingly, but sometimes you just get a fish that doesn't make it, albeit, sometime days later ...even if you have ideal conditions.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon

Sorry to hear about your albino Rainbow. Are the colombian tetras still fine?There is a chance it was just bad stock. Continue to monitor your parameters and do PWC's accordingly, but sometimes you just get a fish that doesn't make it, albeit, sometime days later ...even if you have ideal conditions.
They're still okay.. I should have known not to get him the day I did he was the last one left.. I'll know better next time

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com