Now the fun part!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samtom89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright so I finally have my tank cycled and right now I have 4 new zebra danios in my 20 gallon tank. Everything is good to go, my water levels are great, my tank heater is working well, and I have a nicely setup tank with fake plants/substrate/rocks/caves.

Now I can start adding more fish. What goes well with zebra danios? I want an interesting and diverse tank. I want to have as many different kinds as possible.

How quickly should I be adding new fish?

What is my limit?

And finally if you had to create a 20 gallon freshwater tank with as many different species as possible with all of them getting along what would you have? Thx! :fish2:

Wel this is a few different plans

4 zebra danios
6 neon tetras
4 Julii cory cats
1 dwarf gourami

Or

2 apistogramma or German blue rams
4 zebra danios
6 kuhli loaches

Or

4 zebra danios
3 platys
4 otos
10 neons

Wow, awesome. Just the type of reply I was looking for. Thanks for responding.

Should I take my time introducing all of these fish to the tank? 2 a week?

Well wait for some others, this may or may not be good advise! But generally, you will cycle the tank for a month or so, and then adding fish slowly, but schooling fish I believe all at once. So many 1 school a week?

Once a tank is cycled you want to add one species at a time, monitor your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels be see when your BB has increased to accomidate the new additions (probably around 2 weeks is a good time amount) and then add the next species of fish.

Two things, Oto's do better in an established tank and shouldn't be added until maybe 4ish months after the tank has been set up. Also German Blue Ram need to be added about 6 months after the tank has been set up. So a better choice in Rams are Bolivian Rams. They are hardier and can be added sooner than GBR's. But be aware all Rams are sensitive to nitrates and weekly 50% WC's are recommonded to keep water quality pristine.

Back
Top Bottom