Number of African dwarf frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was planning on adding some African dwarf frogs to my 10 gallon betta tank. I was thinking 3-4. Also they eat bloodworms and frog pellets I just want to make sure?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have yet to see a frog actually eat those frog pellets that are advertised for them. Frozen and live foods are all mine have ever gone for in the 5 years I've kept them.

Three to four would be fine in a 10 gallon. You may need to spot feed them depending on how piggy the betta decides to be about the food ;)

Edit: Also, make sure you don't feed bloodworms too heavily. They can cause bloat and aren't the best nutrition. A better option is the Freshwater Multi-pack frozen food that you can find at Petco or Petsmart. This has bloodworms in a few of the varieties, but it does a good job at mixing it up more to hit a wider range of nutrients for better health :)

Mine love the pellets, but I've only tried one type. I do feed them with a syringe (they don't have good eye sight). But if they can smell it, my two will fight over them. Keep frozen peas on hand for bloat. If other fish steal their food (my betta) I put them in a little plastic cup and feed in there then place them back in the tank.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks I just went and got 3 dwarf frogs. I also got frozen bloodworms and frog pellets for them. Do dwarf frogs carry smenella because the lady at pet smart said they might have it and I had to sign these papers but I bought them anyway?

Yes, just wash after handling them.

I have 3 but mine won't eat the pellets so I just feed on bloodworms every couple of days and making sure they do eat a good amount

They will. Its like when your dog or cat is being stubborn about food. They will eat when they get hungery. The bloodworms are a once a week treat only. Otherwise they will bloat and/or not get all the nutrition they need. Here is the brand I feed. Its at petsmart.
semedybu.jpg

Patty - How many of those pellets do you feed per frog? I might try those with my bunch to see if they'll eat them on days I'm not feeding frozen...

Six or so per. I only feed every other day too. Maybe that makes a difference?

I got the same food as you patty. I'm going to feed them tommorow morning. I hope they don't have trouble finding there food.

Turkey baster or a syringe helps place them easier. They are stinky, they'll find em.

Frozen brine shrimp work too, my adf's love it. Still trying to get them to eat pellets though. You're right they are stubborn ha

I have 3 in my 10 gallon and they're great. I feed them frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. They love it. Never tried the pellets.

They will never eat the pellets if you feed frozen treats everyday ;)

Back
Top Bottom