Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to DarylF2 Send a message via Yahoo to DarylF2
Number of Shrimp Per Gallon?

I recently got 6 Amano Shrimp for my 38-gallon well-planted freshwater tank (~14 Zebra Danios, ~10 Corydoras catfish (2 breeding females), 7 Otocinclus catfish, 2 "Botia Salwnsis" loaches, 1 Cleaner shrimp, and now 6 Amano Shrimp).

I really like them, and they're doing a great job "mowing" my algae. I let the algae grown in a few spots, as my cleaner shrimp seems to like it. The Amano Shrimp are doing a beautiful job keeping these "algae gardens" from getting too large/tall.

How many Amano shrimp can I put in this tank, do you all think? Its fairly heavily planted, with tons of rocks/caves and driftwood, and the fish are all doing terrifically well. My Corys lay eggs 2-3 times a week (thank goodness the loaches eat them all), and even the Danios and Otos have laid eggs! I'd like to get perhaps another 6-10 Amanon if that wouldn't be too much. My ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are around 5-10 mg/L.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think you could have quite a few, i do not think they have much bio-load

Old 11-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could easly do 1 per gallon, go and get some more
Old 11-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Up to 20 should not be a problem..Take care that they do not have space conflicts (not aggressive anyway) with the corys. It could result a bit crowded down there..
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to DarylF2 Send a message via Yahoo to DarylF2
I never clean the back glass, and so it had a thin film of algae on it. Its actually rather pretty, with its filmy green color; that's one reason why I never clean it. The Amano shrimp LOVE it, and graze on the back glass like cows in a field! Its really fun to watch them. They also hang around (literally) in my large mass of floating Hornwort.

As a result, I rarely even see them on the "ground" near the Corys, so I doubt that will be an issue. Its a good point to bring up, though. My Corys get spooked occasionally and dart around like mad; if the shrimp were down there with them the Cory's could accidentally injure them. Luckily, the shrimp have found greener pastures!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
kostanias right

they say a gallon per gallon for larger tanks, but remember, shrimp will fish if theres not enough room, and bottom dwellers wont like it either

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com