Nursery tank issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I keep a small tank for new fry, and have noticed that even if I use water from my main tank, once the tank is up for about a week, it starts a small cycle and nitrites/ammonia start to creep up.

What's the best way to avoid this? Should I keep the nursery tank filter running even when no fry are present to add to the bioload? Should I keep a couple of small fish in it to maintain the water parameters?

So I keep a small tank for new fry, and have noticed that even if I use water from my main tank, once the tank is up for about a week, it starts a small cycle and nitrites/ammonia start to creep up.

What's the best way to avoid this? Should I keep the nursery tank filter running even when no fry are present to add to the bioload? Should I keep a couple of small fish in it to maintain the water parameters?
If there is no ammonia, there will be no cycle, unless you're using a direct share with you're main tanks water, the cycle shouldn't happen. If you are, i would keep the filter running, because the filter is the one with the good bacteria. I'm not sure about adding a couple of fish, but it isn't a bad idea if it can actually stabilize it, but i doubt it.

I pulled the water directly from the main tank that had zero ammonia and nitrites, and now both are creeping up. I had to do an emergency detox w/ Prime this afternoon to pull the nitrite levels down.

I pulled the water directly from the main tank that had zero ammonia and nitrites, and now both are creeping up. I had to do an emergency detox w/ Prime this afternoon to pull the nitrite levels down.
Do you have anything in it?

Half a dozen guppy fry. They're actually doing very well..surprisingly..

Back
Top Bottom