Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Nutrient deficiencies?

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with hygrophila and hornwort. It has been running for about 3 weeks now. I used Carib sea flora max substrate and added seachem flourish root tans throughout the substrate. I am running a nicrew classic led plus 15w 6500k. 72 par @ 12Ē All the plants seem to be growing but are turning white and losing color. Any ideas? Thereís also 5 small tiger barns and two small gouramis that Iím moving to a 40 breeder once they grow a bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5496.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	312398Attachment 1Attachment 1

Old 03-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

White leaves on new growth is usually an iron deficiency. White on mature leaves as well is a magnesium deficiency?? I'm still learning about plants so maybe ZxC or Goatnad can give further insight.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

could you get any close up pictures of the leaves? new and old growth. there are several deficiencies that deal with white leaves. co2, magnesium and iron deficiencies will cause white leaves.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
could you get any close up pictures of the leaves? new and old growth. there are several deficiencies that deal with white leaves. co2, magnesium and iron deficiencies will cause white leaves.

Iíll send more pics when I get home from studying! Thanks for the speedy response!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecreations View Post
iíll send more pics when i get home from studying! Thanks for the speedy response!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8978.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	312404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8979.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	312405
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm gonna go with an iron deficiency. The veins still look a bit green while the leaf is yellow/whitish. Also your old growth looks fine. Common signs of an iron deficiency. Don't take this as absolute though. Hopefully zxc will weigh in as I feel he is a bit more knowledgable about dosing and deficiencies then I am.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say it's more than just Iron. The only fertilizer you've put in the tank are a tiny bit of micro nutrients. Flourish tabs contain insignificant amounts of Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium. They are also lacking on a few key micro elements.

I would start a water column dosing regime, and not bother buying any more Flourish tabs. If you want to use tabs, build them yourself with Osmocote+ and size 00 gel capsules.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

With the Carib sea flora max, it is a lava rock based substrate that doesnít have any nutrients but holds them well (high Cec) is there anything I could put down over the flora max that may be better to plant directly into? Maybe ada soul or stratum? FloraMax seems a bit course for me to plant a carpet of dwarf hair grass. Donít wanna harm plants roots driving them into a bunch of rough rock
Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Didnít know about osmacote! Iíve got some in my shed right now for the garden! Iím a crops soil and environmental science major at auburn and just rediscovered aquariums this year and Iím eating this stuff up thanks for all the help!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeCreations View Post
Didnít know about osmacote! Iíve got some in my shed right now for the garden! Iím a crops soil and environmental science major at auburn and just rediscovered aquariums this year and Iím eating this stuff up thanks for all the help!
I'm a certified crop adviser, University of Guelph - Ontario Agriculture College alumni

So, you'll be able to actually understand what I'm talking about.

It does not have a high CEC.... Where are you finding claims that it does?

Dosing the water column is the easiest way to ensure plants are receiving there nutrient demands. Clean, no mess, simple, no mixing of substrates etc.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com