nutritious bichir food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bra_van_drakh

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've been feeding my senegals all live fish for half a year now, before that i used to feed them live tubifex worms, but the water gest so murky very quickly n i think that the water got thicker as well. ..
some say that beef heart has the bast nutrition for bichirs, but.. . what actually is a beef heart, since literally it's the heart of a cow T _ T'
now since i've decorated my tank with plants and driftwoods, it seemed so impossible to give them live tubifex worms since they'll seep to the gravels i used.
so. ..any suggestions on this probz ???^^

The simple solution would be pellets. Bichers don't need live food, though it may take them a while to make the change. Sooner ot later they'll get hungry enough to eat pellets, and once they learn pellets are food you're good to go. Live nightcrawlwers may also be useful occaisonally, but wouldn't be a good idea as the only or even main source of food.

If you start them out young on pellets it is no problem.

I have never tried with an older bichir who has never had pellets before though...

You can always use frozen blood worms and frozen tubifex worms. My bichirs have always loved those.

I also occassionally throw in a few live ghost shrimp.

I have never tried with an older bichir who has never had pellets before though...
It may take some patience, but just about any fish will learn to eat pellets. Bicher's aren't particularly choosy about their food. Discus are much worse, particularly if they get hooked on frozen bloodworms...

i think givin pellets r more efficient, but as u all know, bichirs tend to stay at the bottom of the tank, and since pellets r floating, it'll take time fr it to sink, n won't it cloud the water ???

i did give them a fresh tiny squarecut of beefheart, n they're lovin it, even my cichlids are.
is it gud to give them these evry dae ???
most people said that beefheart contains a large amount of nutrition tht could make them grow twice faster, or tubifex r better ??? in indonesia, where i live in rite now, frozen tubifex r quite expensive, mush more than live ones, besides, i've just decorated my tank n i fill them with gravel as the planting media, n i think tht tubifex, live n frozen, will just seep into these gravel, wont they ???

Beefheart isn't a good food for a staple diet for any fish. Too much/wrong kind fat for fish. You should be able to find sinking pellets as well as floating. As for clouding the water, that depends on the pellets. Some won't cloud the water after they break down, some will.

Back
Top Bottom