oak leaves to lower ph and soften water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpt84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I brought a bag of miracle glo peat moss to lower my ph and soften it. After adding the peat moss to my filter, a few day later I notice a lot of algae, and slime on the surface of my water. Apparently the peat moss has fertilizer in it. I check most of the garden/hardware store, and that is the only brand they carry. I read somewhere that you can use oak leaves. Are these the brown leaves that fall from oak tree? If it is, what do I need to do to prepare it for the aquarium.

Yuck! Check your nitrates - they're probably high if the peatmoss had fertilizer. You should also do some big water changes to lower the macronutrient levels that algae will feast upon. You don't want all that phosphorus in there either lest you get hit with a big algae bloom.

The best way to lower pH and soften aquarium water is with driftwood - the dark brown driftwood found in the lfs. Don't get the light driftwood attached to the slate - you want the gnarled, twisted bogwood that they sell. Be aware, however, that driftwood will impart a slight yellowish color to the water. They also sell peatmoss matts in the lfs that you can put in the filter, but I find them expensive and they tend to break down over time and must be replaced periodically.

I already did a major water change on the day that I notice the algae. I have a lot of driftwood in my aquarium, but my tap water is around 7.6. I want to avoid using chemical constantly. So has anyone try using oak leaves?

So I brought a bag of miracle glo peat moss to lower my ph and soften it. After adding the peat moss to my filter, a few day later I notice a lot of algae, and slime on the surface of my water. Apparently the peat moss has fertilizer in it. I check most of the garden/hardware store, and that is the only brand they carry. I read somewhere that you can use oak leaves. Are these the brown leaves that fall from oak tree? If it is, what do I need to do to prepare it for the aquarium.

Why do you want to lower the ph, are you trying to breed something? Be careful of what you put in your tank the side effects may be worse then what you anticipated. My ph runs 7.5 (tap water) and things have been going good for 9+ years. Plants, fish etc., are all doing good.

I'm not breeding. I'm going to keep mainly tetras, so I would like to lower my ph to 7.0 and soften my water.

I wouldn't even worry about it hpt. You can keep Tetras with your water. My tap measures beyond the capibility of the AP test kit and averages 24 degrees of hardness and have been keeping Tetras for years. A stable water chemistry is better than a "perfect" pH reading.

Back
Top Bottom