Obligated to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this post of Trooper! I am looking forward to continued updates. Good Luck to both of you. Isn't it wonderful to adopt a fish in need?

janky said:
Awesome discus!!! I'm looking to get some set up in my 55 gal as well, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you!! :)

Thank you :) Have you posted a thread asking others about discus? There are a lot of very experienced people in this forum who really know discus. We have a few breeders as members as well. I'll try to answer any questions I can, how ever I consider myself to be fairly new to these fish as well :)

Teshi said:
I love this post of Trooper! I am looking forward to continued updates. Good Luck to both of you. Isn't it wonderful to adopt a fish in need?

Aw, thank you. That is the reason I wanted to share Troopers story. So others would experience a "feel good story". I think by adopting Trooper, he's made more of a difference in my life than I've his. Mind you, he does seem to really like me too ;-)

Update on Trooper
He is still the King of the tank! I haven't gotten any more discus yet. He doesn't seem to mind being the only one of his kind in there. He floats around the tank playing with all the other fish. He still feeds from my hand and rubs up against me during maintenance. He's grown quite a bit, I'd say he's around the 5-6" mark now? (He's a bit bigger than my hand.) I've found he has an awesome personality! The other day he was taking the blood worms from my hand and feeding them to the cories. It was so strange to watch. Like a momma bear feeding her cubs. There's been no issues of aggression with anyone in the tank. (touches wood) I've gone back and forth with the idea of adding more discus but I think I've settled with having Trooper only. Maybe in a few years or if he shows any signs of loneliness my mind may change. For now everything and everyone is great!
I'll post a pic later the lighting is making it hard to get a good one right now.

Troopers doing AWESOME! Thank you for asking. He's still solo in the tank but growing really big! Here see for yourself ..
Sorry for the poor picture, it's daylight so reflections and I'm using my phone camera ;-)

Attachments

• image-3552445952.jpg
    image-3552445952.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 87
He is so stunning. I have always wanted Discus but all those stories of how sensitive they are relaly kinda scare my away.

Oh don't get this thread wrong, discus (just like any other fish) need great living conditions. You need to be diligent with cleaning, filtration and feeding. It is possible though to keep them as long as you're able to provide the conditions they need. If you have the time, energy and money (or thriftiness) to invest it will pay off! If you've always wanted them you should try it. Start with research and lots of it ;-)

Ok I bit the bullet! I broke down and bought Trooper some friends today. Lets see how they do..Just drip acclimating them right now.

Attachments

• image-3259208596.jpg
    image-3259208596.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 76
Not going to lie .. I'm freaking out a bit here lol! Trooper doesn't look happy. He's already chasing them around and nipping at them. I hope I haven't made a mistake in doing this.

I'll start by saying my knowledge about discus is pretty limited, but if theyre anything like other cichlids you can try taking him out of the tank, completely rearranging everything then putting trooper back in. This can help with "tank is mine" syndrome

I think you're right, I'm going to give them the night to "settle" down..I don't want to stress them out more than they are right now. Tomorrow I think I will get in there and move things around, add some more driftwood and larger "hiding" places. Maybe give Trooper a "time out" for not being a very good host. lol!

Finally hanging out together! YAY!

Attachments

• image-2732676924.jpg
    image-2732676924.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 48
Absolutely amazing looking fish! Also, he might make for a really good fish to breed, maybe get out some of the fragility in the discus lines :)

Trooper is one seriously beautiful fish, so glad to hear they're all getting along. They must be so happy being in your care

Thank you guys/gals! I'm starting to become fond of the "new guys" I didn't want to get attached just in case Trooper didn't like them. I know that sounds silly but he really is King of the tank. I'm starting to feel for "Baby Blue" though, he really is the underdog of the tank. I'm no where near thinking about breeding right now!lol! Trooper would make some pretty resilient babies though. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom