Obtaining Good Fancy Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone found a means of obtaining good fancy guppies that actually live?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I was wonder if anyone knew of a good store that is national because winter is here and there is no way fish can be shipped to Ohio

Yeah I was wonder if anyone knew of a good store that is national because winter is here and there is no way fish can be shipped to Ohio

You think people do not ship fish in the winter? How do new fish get to the pet stores??? :) Insulated boxes with heat packs are a shipper's friend.

Fish get shipped to the chain stores yes, but not to customers like us. And can you imagain how much money you would have to pay for such packaging?

A lot of online stores will not ship past a certain date due to weather conditions, because they can not guarantee them.

And I personally don't order any livestock during the winter time.

You should really check out your area for fish clubs. They normallly meet every Sunday and usually have a fish auction before every meeting. Great place to get some good fish that are cheap.

Thanks for the fish clubs...grim I know they fish it just isn't reliable enough for me here in Ohio...The store I go to has huge shipments of fish with huge heating packs and lots of foam but then again they order probally $5,000 worth of fish each week.

Well no fish clubs for me it seems...I live in such a small city. I'm about 3 hours away from any good fish club. *sighs*

I live in California so I don't have any problems getting guppies. The last batch I bought was purchased at Petco. But mainly I go to the mom and pop stores. They seem to have bigger and brighter colored guppies.

I suggest that if you can get at least one nice looking male and several females of different kinds, put them together and before you know it, you will have tons of guppies.

I guarantee you that the one's you raise will outlive the one's you buy at your LFS, plus they will be prettier.

Geeze, I would send you mine if it wasn't so cold. I am slowly converting my livebearer tank into a German Blue Ram tank. Heck, I still have 12 more guppies in my breeder tank that I am still raising.

If you want, once the weather get's a little warmer and if your still interested, I could send you some of mine. I wouldn't charge you those outrage shipping charges either.

Guppy breeders are a dime a dozen in most cities. If you LFS does not stock good quality guppies, ask the owner if he has a breeder that he can special order you better guppy stock from. Most of your guppies in Ohio LFS are probably raised in Florida farms and shipped in along with all the other fish. Breeder stock from a good breeder will be a much better quality ( and much more expensive! ) Be prepared to pay $5.99 per trio or more if you go this route. You may even find a guppy breeder advertises in your local newspaper!

We have our own guppy breeder here at AA, Guppyman (aka Frank) and you might want to PM him to make an inquiry. I have not seen him around the boards lately but it is worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom