Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Octagon tanks? Help

I am new to this hobby and I am in the process of buying a tank. I found a used Oceanic octagon with solid wood stand, 4 years old for $200 canadian. Is this a good price for a 42 gallon hex? And is there any problems with buying this sort of tank? Any help appreciated. P.S. Tank does not include filter or heater, just rock. Thanks

Old 12-12-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi dude,
I cannot comment on if it is good value or not since I am across the pond, but if you are new to the hobby and have no personal preference, I would recommend getting a rectangular tank.
Most shop also do complete starter kit for that kind of money i.e. an electrically approved hood and fluorescent fixtures (bulbs not included), a power filter, plastic plants, net, fish food, water conditioner and how-to book.

Example
http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...&ct2=Kits&ct3=

Old 12-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes for a newcomer I'd suggest a stardard shaped tank. Specialty tanks sometimes limit your fish choices. Lets say you want an alligator gar or knife fish. You maynot be able to keep one happy in a octagon tank that doesn't provide the horizontal lenght the fish needs to swim. Or if you buy a open water swimmer like a bala shark it would go nuts going around in circles. Not to mention equipment. Some odd shaped tanks won't allow you to buy that filter you really want because of the tanks shape.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is probably a good price for the tank and stand. But odd shaped tanks generally cost more money. I would say stick to rectangular if you can. When looking at tanks, generally the longer is better than higher.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Aside from the problems already mentioned, tall tanks (I'm pretty sure this one is taller than wide) tend to be more difficult to maintain--require more effort to clean the substrate, experience less beneficial gas exchange (limits amount of oxygen in water), and are less flexible if you want to change the tank around.

--->For example, if in a few months you decided that you really wanted to make this into a planted tank (requires 3+ watts of light per gallon), very few combinations of light would allow you to fit a ballast on top of your tank.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all the advice, I am rethinking the purchase now. It looks pretty sharp but how practical would it be? Thanks for your input and sound advice.

2 Blue Tetras, 2 Angelfish, 2 clown loaches,
1 Tail-Light Tetra,
2 Otocinclus, 1 Glass cat fish

15 Gallon -1 Fancy Guppies - 15 Guppy Fry
nemokeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com