odd ball things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the advise.

Actually I've already had a good look through these forums and a teacher at my work keeps a huge freshwater aquarium at the school (with lots of fish and even a turtle, well terripin to be exact). He's already given me a few pointers.

Tomorrow I am going to get a few things and a test kit is one of them (as well as a DOB filter and light).

I know you now you shouldn't put the fish in so soon but given that I got the fish at the same time as the tank (present and all) I'm going to do my best with that. I don't know a hell of a lot about fish but I'm going to be learning quickly and between this site and my workmate I think I can get all the good advice I need.

Thanks.

Ask at you work for a handful of gravel or a squeeze from their filter (if you can get both that would be awesome!!!) Just take a ziplock bag, or a gallon bucket put in ahandful of gravel and have your work mate squeeze the filter out into it on the gravel. Make sure their is water and moisture at all times so the bacetria doesnt die on the way to your home, and put that in your tank. Your fish will thank you. Get the kit and and really watch your tank. Chances are you will lose some of the fish through the cycle, but you dont have to lose them all. The media from the other tank that is established will really help.

If you do not want to do that.....

If anything else go to the fish store and get some biospira. It is worth the $10 in my opinion. I used it with cocktail shrimp on my 55gl and cycled it fishless. Cycle in the bottle is worthless, biospira is kept in the fridge. It is designed to add to new tanks with fish and cycle it faster.

I got a tank for my daughter and just threw the fish in. I lost everything (except the snail) even with constant water changes and constant testing. The fish went through pure hell. I worked so hard and put so much time into that tank to save the fish once I realized from reading what I did wrong. Water changes and and constant water changes were exhausting. I didnt come to this amazing forum until after I learned my lesson.

Go see your work mate and save yourself alot of work and heartache :)

Welcome and look foward to you on the forums!

Thanks everyone. I have become aware that my noob question may be hijacking this thread so I started a new one for general advise here...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=92068

Again thanks everyone for your help.

On topic I've got a die cast model to put in my tank and Im soaking it in hot water. Its has no glue so I think it should be safe, plus its heavy so it will sit nicely on the bottom I think

i have a peacock eel that likes to swim up the outflow of the HOB filter and nap amongst the filter floss and biomedia.

watching him do it is a trip.

I haven't had much luck keeping things "tied down".......are lead sinkers (i.e. from fishing stores) ok for use in an aquarium?

I would assume the lead sinker is unsafe, as lead to humans is toxic, and metals of any kind in tanks are generally not safe.
You could tie (fishing line) it to a rock? Or theres always silicone.

When I was a bit younger I'd just shove an action figures legs into the gravel, so he stood on his own. Additionally I would lean it against a rock or something. But that's a good 8 or 10 years ago.

Are the lead sinkers used for fishing still lead? They might be some other sort of metal. It's like lead pencils. They're pretty much all graphite now.

Stretch said:
How about using liquor bottles somehow? If you could drill a large hole in the bottom so that small fish could swim through it?

Interesting idea *looks over at multiple whisky bottles*. Hmmmmmm...... :lol:

The local zoo has a display of what you find near docks/piers/etc. Bunch of trash and stuff. Your comment on liquor bottles reminded me of that. It really is a nice display though! I think they house goldfish in that tank.

To answer theotheragentm's question, yes lead is still widely used for fishing weights.

In regard to jbarr's comments, I agree it would seem that lead would be unsafe, yet live aquarium plants are still sold bound together and weighted with lead ribbon.

Back
Top Bottom