odd ball things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
So lets hear all the odd ball things you have seen people use in there tanks, or your tanks at home, such as in the case of my friend, he used a bunch of small mirrors in his tank for a really odd perspective on the inside, so what have you guys and gals seen?

my roomate made floating mines in his tank

took raquet balls, painted them black, screwed in tiny spikes, coated them in a clear cloat of some kind, then used tiny black chainto connect them to rocks and made them at varying levels in the tank - looked really cool with a half broken sub model in there and his giant clown knife

I have seen an entire aircraft carrier model. It was a sunken ship motif. He drilled holes onto it and allowed all kinds of coral to attach itself to it. It wasent small either. The tank was 200 gallons+.

F-18 TECH said:
I have seen an entire aircraft carrier model. It was a sunken ship motif. He drilled holes onto it and allowed all kinds of coral to attach itself to it. It wasent small either. The tank was 200 gallons+.

I hope it wasn't one he build himself. Even non-toxic glue may still be toxic to fish.

my dad builds model air planes, some use 50 cc chainsaw motors with smoke devices that burn a fuel to makea them havea big white smoke trail, his biggest ahs liek a 12 foot wing span lol its massive lol

I use plastic canvas (plastic with holes) to hang the plants upside down and eventually plan to reverse the other decor for an upside down tank.

In my first tank I had a little batman doll With some chain tying him to a lead sinker - I sowed a few small bits of styrofoam to his cape so it floated above his head - Next to him was a skeleton in a superman costumer

How about using liquor bottles somehow? If you could drill a large hole in the bottom so that small fish could swim through it?

using liqour bottles is a time consuming process though, you have to soak them to clean them, soak them to remove the label since you can't use any chemicals to do it, and drilling them is pretty dangerous considering the will bust, I've broken them before and filed the sharp points off with an emory type paper and glued them to my walls lol

Time consuming, but at least you can drink all the alcohol first! Just kidding, I work in a bar. That's how I got the idea in the first place. I guess I'll keep looking for ideas.

tropicfishman said:
using liqour bottles is a time consuming process though, you have to soak them to clean them, soak them to remove the label since you can't use any chemicals to do it, and drilling them is pretty dangerous considering the will bust, I've broken them before and filed the sharp points off with an emory type paper and glued them to my walls lol
Try using soap and water as a lubricant while gently drilling. I don't know if it will work on glass for sure but that's how we drilled plastic in shop class when I was in high school.

You need to buy a special drill bit for glass. I don't even think it is the same as for ceramic. You should be able to get one at home depot.

As for the lables: just soak them in a sink full of very hot water. The labels will come off on their own.

You need to buy a special drill bit for glass. I don't even think it is the same as for ceramic. You should be able to get one at home depot.

As for the lables: just soak them in a sink full of very hot water. The labels will come off on their own.

DepotFish said:
You can't use soap for something in an aquarium, it'll kill the fish.

It should be okay as long as the soap is rinsed off well. Glass usually isn't porous enough to absorb soap, so there shouldn't be too much soap residue after a good rinsing/soaking.

:)

Hi I'm new here. Actually my fiancee got me a small aquarium for Christmas yesterday (a totally out of left field gift but I've found surprisingly I dig it, a lot.) Just 10 Neon Tetras and 3 Panda Cories but its perfect for a noob like me.

Anyway, I'm really new at this but I stubbled across this thread. I though it would be really cool to put a sunken World War 2 fighter at the bottom of the tank, a Mitsubishi Zero or something, all cut up like it was blasted. my idea is that the fish can swim in and out of it just like the real footage of wreak on docos.

I have imagined and here it has been confirmed, that model glue is not very good for fish. So then say I buy a "snap together" one? Is the plastic resin okay? How about paint? Aquarilic? Ive seen models in aquariums before I guess it can be done. I've been making model aircraft for ages now, so I'm okay with that, just unsure about how they fit with fishies in a closed environment. I always soak them in hot water anyway before painting because it makes painting easier.

Thanks from a newbie to all of this.

Actually my fiancee got me a small aquarium for Christmas yesterday (a totally out of left field gift but I've found surprisingly I dig it, a lot.) Just 10 Neon Tetras and 3 Panda Cories

Welcome JayJay!

I'll be the first to direct your attention to the article section at the top of each page in this forum. You will find many useful articles to help you get your new tank cycled, and what to expect with your first wave of fish.

I'm thinking that the neons will have a tough time being the first residents in your tank. Go and get yourself a test kit that uses liquid reagents, not the dip strips. You will need to keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank, and do frequent water changes in the beginning.

You may also want to read through the Getting Started section of threads for more Q&A.

Have fun :)

Back
Top Bottom