Odd Boesemani Behavior with new Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akraini5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I have a community tank 55 gal. With 16 neon tetras, 8 guppies (all but 3 guppies are fry) and a Boesemani rainbow fish. I ordered 7 more B. rainbows but they died on the way here to Alaska) the Boesemani rainbow has been schooling with the neon tetra’s for the last month with no issues. Today I added a dwarf gourami and the B. rainbow has been acting crazy, he follows the gourami around (actually leans against him while swimming) is never far from his side and his colors are now in full show bright yellow from center to tail and silver blue from center to head…. Is this aggression/ territorial behavior or is the B. Rainbow confused and thinking that the gourami is matting material?

Sounds like hes displaying for the gourami

If theyre rubbing their bodies against eachother (tail end) theyre most likely trying to establish
Dominance. Not sure it will stop. Solution would be to try to get some more bosemanis

I agree with fish man that the rainbow seems to be displaying. In my experience with boesemanis, if they're going to get aggressive with other fish, you will definitely know it. If you see the rainbow chasing the gourami or the gourami hiding or acting stressed I would be concerned but otherwise just keep an eye on them

Back
Top Bottom