Odd couples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timd818

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know if this is normal but my inhabitants are acting really strange. My bamboo shrimp(Bait) is totally glued to my 3 clown loaches(The Three Stooges). He sleeps with them in the cave and only comes out when they do. When my clowns are resting on their sides, the shrimp is right there with them. He either thinks he's a clown or think that the clowns are shrimps. On that note, my 2 ottos teamed up with my albino corys 8O . Go figured! When I first got them, they clinged to the sides of my tank, now they bunched up with the corys. They followed the corys everywhere. The corys don't seem to mind at all, they almost seemed happier. They kept my bottom spotless :D . I'm worried that one day the clowns will get tired of Bait and eat him.

My Glowlights and Neons used to School Together (Moved 8 surviving Glowlights to daughters 10 Gal, where they school with the new Neons..) My Clown Loaches were schooling with the Serpaes, Diamonds with the Head and Taillights (tho not as much since I added more lighting)

Seems the schooling fish find someone around the same size and school with them, I'm not sure if it's just the size or appearance, but size would make more sense..

That is pretty cool tho, I've never seen a shrimp do anything but surf a detached leaf to the top of the tank and jump off.. (he did this repeatedly)

How cute!!!

Fish can do some adorable things!

My Cherry Barbs and My Corys were inseparable they always stayed together...when they were alive...But thats another story.

my large tinfoil barb , and my gold fish are a pair. They swim togather, back and forth across the tank, and brush up against each other, they are always togather, and never leave each others side

Thanks for bringing this up timd because I thought this was weird too. My lone mickeymouse platy has taken to schooling with my tetras. I really thought he was doing it out of lonliness but, I think now that he either thinks he's a tetra or think that the tetras are platy's. Go figure :wink:

I have a single punctatus cory that spends his days with the juli cory's... but I guess thats not as interesting as pairs of different genus. Still... I know what you mean when you say that fish x thinks he a fish y. It is amusing.

I think you'll find that your bamboo shrimp will grow a bit too big for your loaches to eat him (providing they're similar in size atm). The bamboo shrimp can get 5" in length, and clown loaches are slow growers (though they can get to a foot over the process of a couple of years). So, knock on bamboo they won't eat him. ;)

I'll try to take a pic of them tonight Menagerie. At the moment, Bait and the Stooges are the same size. He doesn't mind when one of them burhses up against him but when one of my cory cat gets too close, he would swat at them. Imagine that, a shrimp with attitude :roll:

I took some pictures and they're submitted. Just waiting for approval. They'll be in my gallery. Appearantly, the flash from the camera spooked Bait :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom