Odd growth on dw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me what this weird stuff growing on my mopani driftwood is? If the pic isn't good enough, I'd describe the growth as like a clear gelatin-like membrane. Also, how can I remove it? Tank only has live plants no fish or shrimp yet

I think it's a fungus.

It can occur if the wood isn't fully dead before its added to the tank.

The fungus feeds on decaying organic matter and it will run itself out.

You can try boiling the wood if there isn't anything attached to it.

It's defiantly bacteria, (any fungus or algae would have died after you boiled it) just be patient it will go away on its own.

Can anyone tell me what this weird stuff growing on my mopani driftwood is? If the pic isn't good enough, I'd describe the growth as like a clear gelatin-like membrane. Also, how can I remove it? Tank only has live plants no fish or shrimp yet

I have the same/similar membrane developing on my heater. I have heard from a few people that "it is bacteria or algae, and it is harmless." I'm not sure if that's true, but that's what I've heard. I had it in develop in my tank before, (it comes and goes for me) and I only had gravel in the tank so I doubt it's fungus or anything like that. :)

I have the same/similar membrane developing on my heater. I have heard from a few people that "it is bacteria or algae, and it is harmless." I'm not sure if that's true, but that's what I've heard. I had it in develop in my tank before, (it comes and goes for me) and I only had gravel in the tank so I doubt it's fungus or anything like that. :)

Is there a chance you're an overfeeder? That would cause it to grow too.

Its perfectly harmless. If it bothers you then you can use a turkey baster to suck it out which is what I did. When I had it growing it took about 2 months for it to go away.

Back
Top Bottom