Odd shark behavior (Bala and Rainbow - Not Great White!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sharks are odd little creatures. The Bala (about 3") is pretty chilled out, nobody bothers him and he doesn't bother anyone else, usually just cruises around the middle of the tank pecking at the plants and occasionally going to the bottom to see what he can scrounge up. The Rainbow (about 2") usually just cruises around too, nibbling at various objects . . . every once in a while though, the Rainbow will go to the Bala and he looks like he is "cleaning" the Bala. Not sure how to describe it, but it's like he is eating off of the Bala. I'd say it looks kind of like aggressive behavior, but the Bala doesn't move . . . .almost seems to enjoy it. The Bala isn't damaged in any way, and he just sits there and lets the Rainbow do it. It's the only fish the Rainbow will do it to (or at least the Bala is the only one that allows the behavior)

Anyone else ever see this and can tell me what the situation is there?

I have both a Bala and 2 Rainbows, and never seen that action before. My rainbows like the sewer pipes and hollow log, and the bala just cruises the tank.

rollin_22, my tank info is in my info link and in my sig . . . .but to answer your question, somehow I doubt a grand total of five inches of fish are having territorial issues in a 55 gallon tank, and I would think that if it were territorial, then it would be confrontational and the Bala wouldn't allow the Rainbow to do it. Like I said, he even seems to enjoy it.

Bala sharks are supposed to be in schools and usually won't be really active if they are by themselves. In schools they are very very active fish.

Rainbow fish as they get bigger will be very aggressive towards any other 'sharks' in the tank.I have one thats 6" (full grown) in my 55 gallon cichlid tank and he holds his own in there. If anyone comes near his 'cave' he lets them know who's boss.

I've seen rainbow sharks pick and "clean" plecos and other slower moving fish. I say its normal rainbow shark behavior. But, like Ashley said, they are known to get very agressive, especially with another shark in the tank, as they age.

HTH

Devilishturtles said:
I've seen rainbow sharks pick and "clean" plecos and other slower moving fish. I say its normal rainbow shark behavior. But, like Ashley said, they are known to get very agressive, especially with another shark in the tank, as they age.

HTH

As I read these replies I was thinking "wow, it ISN'T common?"
I always thought it was! My rainbow used to regularly 'kiss' some of my other fish. Mostly the calm and peacefull Balas I had.
In my experience it IS common and does not harm the fish.

Although some fish do the same thing but more agressivley (so I've read in Innes). Some fish (the teethy tetras) can kill other fish in this manner.

Back
Top Bottom