Oddest thing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SittingDuck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased 4 black mollies about 2 to 3 weeks ago and yesterday in the tank I noticed fry...

The odd thing is that the mollies are all male! When I purchased them they had them divided into two tanks, male and female, and I verified that they were male by the description here:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2089

So, what is going on? Why would male mollies have babies??

You would have to have a female in the group. Perhaps you have a female who is just holding her anal fin up.

Well, you either certainly had a female in the group, or you've witnessed a miracle! :D
I imagine that there are individual variations within the the genders that make sexing mollies something less than a 100% sure thing.
Anyway, congrats on your brood!

well, I do know that there are fish that spend part of their life as each sex, but Mollies aren't one of them! Like Fluff, I suspect a female with a deformed or altered anal fin. congrats!

Why did you want all males,BTW?

Swordtails often change from female to male if there isnt enough males in the group.. but thatd be a fast change.. and its a molly..

TomK2 said:
Why did you want all males,BTW?

My wife picked up this group of Mollies while I was at the fish store. From the begining, I wasn't intentionally trying to breed my fish as it adds a layer of complexity that I'm not ready for at this time.

Update on the fry...I think they've all been eaten. I went to the LFS the next night to pickup a breeding trap and by the time I got home I couldn't find the little guy anymore. I should be more prepared the next time. I've got a swordtail in there whose looking quite plump. :D

You have other female live bearers in the tank? There could always be hybridization to explain the fry? 3 weeks is rather quick tho. Or the fry were from the other female livebearers. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom