Oddity? Never saw Nitrites during Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, fellow fishkeepers.
I got my 27g cube around 9 months ago, it cycled fishless within around 2 weeks. Oddest thing was, I never saw any nitrites. Never. Not once. Zip. Zero. You get it.. Has anyone heard this before? No seeded material was used, it cycled using a fluval c3. I used pure ammonia from Ace Hardware... Has anyone experienced this?
I know its a bit late to bring it up, but I am honestly just curious.

Thanks
-1998golfer

That's plausible I guess... maybe the bacteria built up so fast that as soon as it processed the ammonia to nitrite, it had already processed the nitrite to nitrate.

I had heard of that but only with seeded media. Anyway, lucky you since the nitrite phase usually takes forever.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

We had/have the same issue. 9 months in. None still. Is your ph high? Ours is 8.4 and very soft water. I'm thinking that's part of our problem.

my fishless cycle never registered any ammonia or nitrite - I was just adding fish food (hadn't thought of using ammonia) and then one day, tested, and got the nitrate. and my fish aren't dead yet, so I guess it worked.

We had/have the same issue. 9 months in. None still. Is your ph high? Ours is 8.4 and very soft water. I'm thinking that's part of our problem.

My ph is very low. 6.0 low. And extremely soft water.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom