ODNO lighting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My ODNO is doing great. Heating issues are the only problem I have had. If you can find a ballast (and fans) for cheep, then ODNO is the way to go. Just make sure that you get good air-flow accross the entire bulbs.

Thanks. Like one input and one output fan? I was thinking two exhaust fans for the hood, and a remote ballast.

How is your hood set up? My light strip has 4 vents: two large vents in the middle and two small vents on the ends. All 4 face up. I first set it up as "setup 1" in the figure, with both fans in the middle and both pushing up.

Cooling_ODNO.PNG

But then I figured that I might not get good airflow through the two small, outer vents. So I reversed fan 1. This might have given better total airflow, but gave crappy airflow on the ends. The ends got very toasty! So I switched back to setup 1.

The best way to go would be with one cooling fan on each end - one intake and one exhaust. But however you do it, just make sure you have good airflow over the entire bulb.

I figured a remote ballast would be nice, but too hard to move with that many wires. My ballast is on the back/outside of my light strip.

It will be my first DIY hood, so I will follow your advice with an intake and outake on opposite ends. Extremely helpful. Thank you!

I would experment with positve and negive preasure (more air in then out= positve the reverse negitive) I would think if your glass top the postive preasure might work better.. just thory on my part..

by the way.. I can't belive this thread is alive again..

and were are the smiles in the quick reply? LOL (J/K I'll figure that out on my own)

I just switched my T8 fixture to ODNO (2 dual ballasts). I don't see a huge difference in light output tho.. I know the tube looks more solid coloured (thicker white).. What should I expect?

Advance Instant Start ballast, 2 blues tied together to 1 tombstone, the red to the other. same for both ballasts. I can't really disconnect 1 wire while it's running (dangerous)..

They are quite a bit hotter then the other fixture..

NM, just read it will put out 50% more light then a single bulb.

OMG - LOLZez

OK enoght of that- I just got done listening to my friend D tell me how she had to shut down one bank of her ODNO fixure to prevent an algae outbreak in a new tank- because she had TOO MUCH LIGHT!!!. Seriously. Why didn't you guys make me aware of how cheap and powerful this stuff was earlier. It costs me $30 to replace a 6700K 34" CF bulb. I could do the same thing at 15-25% of the price, with cheaper bulbs if I only would have known. Seriously, it's OK to smack me upside the head once in a while! DANG!!!

travis simonson said:
OMG - LOLZez

OK enoght of that- I just got done listening to my friend D tell me how she had to shut down one bank of her ODNO fixure to prevent an algae outbreak in a new tank- because she had TOO MUCH LIGHT!!!. Seriously. Why didn't you guys make me aware of how cheap and powerful this stuff was earlier. It costs me $30 to replace a 6700K 34" CF bulb. I could do the same thing at 15-25% of the price, with cheaper bulbs if I only would have known. Seriously, it's OK to smack me upside the head once in a while! DANG!!!

Uhhh.. Come on now travis.. I told you ages ago.. look how old this thread is!!! :mrgreen:

These at 4X (four power leads off an electronic ballast) are about the same light output as standard VHO of the same length.. :p

Back
Top Bottom