Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.waffles1842
Well then, im going to revise that plan a bit. Seeing as how i live with 2 younger brothers (and an older sister. all you guys out there know what i mean), i can use our only bathtub. So im going to use a 5 gallon bucket, and place in 2 tblspns per gallon. so 10 tablespoons. This water will be warm, not hot, since i have no stove. I will do this until i notice a lack of tannins in the water. ill also change the water every 2 days.

Rasmus, tannins are released from wood whilst its in water, especially warm water. Think of it like tea. Heat up tea leaves and it releases a light brown color. Although not harming any fish, other than slightly lowering the pH, it is unattractive. So you usually boil the wood to get any tannins out.
Sounds promising enough. Warm water is better than cold water. But if you happen to find a way to heat it without the stove, the hotter the better. With the higher salt concentration I'd double the time you did your freshie soaks just to be sure, but that's just me. I hope you see lots of progress in the weeks ahead! Good luck.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Newbie

mr.waffles1842
sorry I asked so simple a question - I couldnīt imagine that ordinary "black water" could be any problem in a auquatic description of a biotope that contained wood; but if you have a fish tank for the decorative effect in your home .,. donīt use wood.... use wood substitute... thats is fiber material made to resemble wood.... it isnīt cheap if it is good, but it will not taint your water.... your fish may hate you though.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus
mr.waffles1842
sorry I asked so simple a question - I couldnīt imagine that ordinary "black water" could be any problem in a auquatic description of a biotope that contained wood; but if you have a fish tank for the decorative effect in your home .,. donīt use wood.... use wood substitute... thats is fiber material made to resemble wood.... it isnīt cheap if it is good, but it will not taint your water.... your fish may hate you though.
Lots of people add driftwood for looks. But some add it (myself ) because a pleco actually eats the wood pulp. Its like pleco fiber.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I add DW because i dont trust decor. My first 12 gallon tank, paint chips off fish swallow it next thing i know i got a graveyard on my hands.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it helps
I boiled mines for 8 hours
Put it in a bucket with hose water changed the water twice
Just changed it 3 hours ago and it's looking a lot clearer everytime

Tags
tan, tannins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com