Officially Started Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalebZachary

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I started my Fishless Cycle on Saturday in my new 110 Gallon Aquarium. Bought the API master test kit.

I dosed the Ammonia up to 4 PPM and it's been there since Saturday. Yesterday I bought Seachem Prime and put that in the tank yesterday. My ammonia level is still 4 PPM and my PH is 7.6. I just wanted to make sure that it is going as planned so far? No nitrites have been found. I know this takes a few weeks just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Sounds ok so far... Just be patient. Could take a while for nitrites. Just out of curiosity, why did you add the Prime?

Doesn't the Prime help break down the ammonia to convert it to bacteria?

You seem to be confused , or more likely, have received bad info.

The Ammonia isn't broken down into bacteria, it's broken down BY bacteria.

The cycle is Ammonia > nitrItes > nitrAtes

Each step requires a new type of bacteria to grow to feed on the waste product from the prior bacteria.

So the Ammo to trItes bacteria is what you're waiting for first.

That could take a few weeks, but you can speed up the cycle by adding filter media from an established tank.

Hope that helps!

You seem to be confused , or more likely, have received bad info.

The Ammonia isn't broken down into bacteria, it's broken down BY bacteria.

The cycle is Ammonia > nitrItes > nitrAtes

Each step requires a new type of bacteria to grow to feed on the waste product from the prior bacteria.

So the Ammo to trItes bacteria is what you're waiting for first.

That could take a few weeks, but you can speed up the cycle by adding filter media from an established tank.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. :)

Edit: I have also been putting fish food in there every day.

If you're dosing ammo then don't add fish food, it'll just rot and cause fungus to grow, unsightly to say the least!

Keep us us posted with the progress please!
thanks for the tips! I will keep you all updated. I am using an older filter from a previous fish tank. Do you think that will speed up the process at all?

Back
Top Bottom