oh crap its hot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
oh no. just had a 35C day and i have another one tommorow, cycling the tank atm, new setup. came home at 5:00pm and the water is at 31C!! the house is well insulated so it will hold the head so tommorow the water will be even higher. plus i dont have lights on yet!!! (3 X 20w NO flouros)

looked up chillers and cant find anything for under 300 bucks and thats only for a 20 gallon (mine is 28)!!!

there must be a cheaper way to cool the tank!?!??!

any ideas pleeeeease!!?!

Did it really get that hot without lights? Wow, In Geelong here and my tank didn't go above 28C and I ran lights all day.
Take cover glass off for starters...some people run fans. I can't see it doing too much damage as you are still cycling so I assume there isn't sentive fish , corals etc.
Shouldn't be too much hot weather to come....I wouldn't spend the money on a chiller...not in Melbourne :D

im such a dumy i went to the thermometer it actually said 28, i got fooled coz the green safe level mark ends at 25, i thought it ended at 30, sorry

so that should be cool! pun intended :)

thanks for the help tho man

far out i thought i was a gonner.

so are your fish ok with a daily fluctiation of a few degrees?

im doing a fishless cycle btw

Flucutations are not a good thing, but as long as it is slow, it shouldn't harm the fish. Is the room air conditioned? Can you put a fan near the tank?

I don't know what 28 C converts to F since I can't get the AA calc to work.

I don't know what 28 C converts to F since I can't get the AA calc to work.

28 x 9 /5 +32
=82.4F

(C * 9/5 + 32 = F , (F-32)/9*5 = C)

That's not that hot, but I would recommend a fan blowing around the tank and don't try to rapidly cool the water with ice or a water change. couple more degrees and you won't have to worry about ich..

Evaporation is a cooling process. If you airate the tank and provide a little fan to keep some air moving over the tank, you should be able to drop the temp a couple degrees.

yeh and i wont get condensation from the hood dripping into the tank!

just found this the other day all the fittings and reflective material was soaking and dripping into the tank so i added another cofer glass and its still doing it!

theres some parts that i spray painted dripping into the tank anyone know if there would be paint residue in those drips? anyway hoods open now im gonna put a fan in and do some water changes tank is still cycling so its ok, would there be bad stuff in the wood and gravel now tho? all the like bits where i taped on the reflective (duct tape) stuff has been dripping in so im worried about glue residue and all around the metal fittings too :S

ditto, we've had 38-40c here in perth the last few days,
fish won't stop spawning in the warmer temp.
4 maingano mummies in 4 days

Back
Top Bottom