Oh Crap- TRUMPET SNAILS TAKE OVER!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Webbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ummm... for the past two or three days in our 75 gallond probally 50-80 trumpet snails gather on the sided of the tank? What are the options besides copper? Please and thank you

The best method for removal of snails is manual. Put a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and in the morning, remove the lettuce and the snails as soon as you turn the lights on.

Tie a piece of zucchini with some twine, fishing line, etc and go "fishing" for snails. Every so often (I like every 15-30 minutes) pull it out and scrape the snails off.

Easy way to get hundreds of snails in a small amount of time. Plus it doesn't give them much time to eat, run away, and reproduce like keeping food in overnight can.

I put two dozen trumpets in my tank a few months ago and I'm finally seeing babies. I'm thrilled!!! I don't know why people hate them so much, they don't do much, just pick em out as you see em.

Same here. I'm starting to see the MTS start to reproduce finally. I'm sure I'll have to remove some in the near future. I would try putting food in a jar and sinking the whole jar actually, because then you can get snails on the food and making their way to the food.

you'll understand in a bit, they reproduce faster and faster and then they don't stay under the sand.... aside from loaches i think i've heard that some Barbs like to eat them.

besides a jar, I've heard of water bottles also being used. fill the bottle with water so it will sink, and place the lettuce inside of the bottle, then you can take it out in the morning.

I started with 50 and now have kabillions. I like them. When they get too creepy (as in covering the gravel in the AM), I pick 'em out and sell them on AquaBid or trade them or give them away. They are in no way harmful, but when you get that "OHHHHKKAAAAYYY, that's too many!" feeling, just do a roundup and post them here or sell 'em or give them away to a fishy friend.

them things mate like rabbits i had a couple weeks later 200 or so lol i hate snails never again. make a trap plastic bottol and alge waffer in side bye bye snails

flip_lx said:
you'll understand in a bit, they reproduce faster and faster and then they don't stay under the sand.... aside from loaches i think i've heard that some Barbs like to eat them.

They only reproduce as an accelerated rate if food is available. If there wasn't anything for them to eat, then they wouldn't be a problem. I purposely add them to my tanks to stir up the substrate and have never had a problem keeping them under control.

Think of it this way: If you see a million of them, then you are overfeeding or not cleaning your tank well enough and they are taking care of it for you. They will die off once the food is gone.

With plastic bottles, will something like an Arrowhead drinking bottle work even if it has the glue on it that holds the label down?

I'm actually leaning toward the glue being safe as it is on a human consumed product. Anybody put a jar or bottle with a glued label into their tank? I think scraping it might be worse than just leaving a dried glob on the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom