Oh man....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
On the way back from giving my best a friend a ride to work, I decided to stop at PetSmart, since it's right on the way. While I was there, I noticed there was one tank with just one Black Convict chiclid in it with a "DO NOT SELL" sign on the tank. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the chiclid, since it seemed perfectly healthy and was absolutely gorgeous. It had none of the gray, splotchy colors I usually on them at PetSmart, but instead had these perfect, bold black and white striped that were wonderfully defined. I've been stricken with a sudden urge to set up a chiclid tank, now, even, just to get some fish like that.

Still, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the fish. I was about to ask for it when I noticed it doing something weird in the gravel. I looked really closely, and sure, enough, there were dozens of fry down in the gravel! It was amazing. The mother (?) was guarding right over them, and would occaisionally knock the rocks around, and whenever one got too far from the group of fry, she would grab it in her mouth and spit it back out in the group of fry. Also, when any of the other chiclids in the tank next door would swim too close to the clear divider keeping her and her fry quarantined, she would try and attack them.

I watched it for almost half an hour. It was pretty darn cool.

(Just felt like sharing.)

when i was in college i worked at a bar that had a 75 gallon chiclid tank. They would spawn often, and it was amazing to watch their behavior. I mean, come on this was a bar in college, i was usually watching the girls, but now and again i couldn't resist watching them

Back
Top Bottom