Oh mann!!! How could I be so stupid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought 8 harlequin rasboras from my lfs where I have never had any problems before. They all looked great, so I bought them, took them hoime, and put them in my regular tank because my QT tank is being inhabited by one very sick rainbow fish. Anyhoo....ya know how you get the feeling that you shouldn't be doing something but go ahead and do it anyway? I KNEW I should have quarantined those fish! But I have always taken that precaution and never had a problem from this particular store.
So know it's 2 days later and 3 have died from what I think is popeye. Their eyes swell and get all red and then they die within a matter of hours. I have moved them to the QT tank now, and am treating with maracyn II. It's what I was getting ready to use on the rainbow too, so that's alright, but my question is...how contagious is popeye? They were in my regular tank for about 36 hours with all the rest of my fish, are they all in jeopardy? I can't believe I did such a stupid thing.

Okay someone just told me that popeye is not a disease in and of itself, but a symptom of a bacterial infection. So since it spread so quickly through the new fish, should I assume that it is going to affect my others as well since they were all swimming in the same tank for about a day and a half?

It can also be a result of poor water quality. What are your parameters? If it is bacterial you may need to treat your main tank. Keep a close eye on the rest of your fish.

slroo - if you treat with Maracyn 2 check your water parameters frequently. Although the package says it will not affect your biofilter it sometimes does (it killed mine)
Best of luck with the fish

Thanks everyone. My parameters are as follows:
Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10.
I do two partial water changes a week. (Not for any other reason than I think it's fun to use the python.) All the other fish seem very healthy and lively.

Back
Top Bottom