Oh no!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was attempting to re-set up my tanks last night after moving... I was very careful to save as much water as I could, and then just use dechlorinator on the tap water to top them off. One problem... the dechlorinator said 1 drop/gal. and I used the standard 10 drops/ gal. that i am used to with any other one I have used. How much trouble am I in? Is there something I should do to avoid any potential problems? My 15 gal. probably got the worst of it. It got about 7 gal. of this super dechlorinated water (7X10 drops = 70 instead of the 7 it should have been). Note to self: play around with aquariums during the day when you won't make stupid mistakes.

Youll probably want to do a good size water change. Excess chemicals can irritate the fish.
I know how you feel. One night I was so tired, I was setting up a new tank with an established filter pad and I let it run in a tank with no dechlorinator. :oops:

man that really sucks!

i have the Amquel De-Chlor and it says 1 tsp. per 10 gallons

so mine doesnt want much but when i do a PWC i fill up 2 1 gal jugs with water and 2 drops of de chlor in each jug and mix it, and then dump it into my tank

never have i head 10 drops per gal

It depends on what brand you use. I think BioSafe is 10 drops/gallon, but Prime only uses 2 drops/gallon. Hopefully your fish don't O.D. jonny! 8O

I would just do a 50% water change (as long as you don't have anything in the tank that is delicate) And do not add any more dechlor until your next water change. Normally I don't worry about putting in "a little too much" but in this case, I think there is enough dechlorinator in there to do more harm than good. Good luck! :loopy:

Back
Top Bottom