Oh, no- betta's ripped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
About two weeks ago I saw my betta's fins get sucked into- or at least, get very close to being sucked into- the filter intake tube. I panicked and immediately turned off the filter. Apollo (the betta) is fine- he came out a little shaken and with a few small tears in his fins. It's not a problem anymore; I went to Petsmart and bought a Fluval Edge Filter Sponge (it works wonders, still isn't clogged!).
Anyway, his fins are still torn, so I was thinking about getting some aquarium salt and putting it into the tank. He lives in a tropical community- would I have to put him in the hospital tank if I put in the aquarium salt? How much aquarium salt should I put in, and for how long? Also, I read somewhere mixing his food with garlic juice could promote healing- what do you think? Or am I overreacting, and should I just let him be? He doesn't seem too bothered by it.

Thanks,
Polkadots

Imho, youre over reacting. It takes time for a bettas fis to heal and sometimes it takes quite a while. The salt is more specifically used to treaf fin rot and the garlic is debatedly used to increase the immune response. Its just a matter of time before the fins heal rather than battling an infection.

In the cuture you might want to look into a sponge covering for your filter intake.

Have you heard of Indian Almond leaves? I put them in all my betta tanks, esp ones with fin probs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you heard of Indian Almond leaves? I put them in all my betta tanks, esp ones with fin probs.

Various big box post stores sell these as hermit crab accessories, believe it or not, by their other common name, catapa leaves. Likewise, blackwater extract works similarly to these leaves without the need to wait for a week while they break down into beneficial tannins

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you to all of the responses!
To Mebbid: I already have covered my filter intake tube with a sponge.
To brennane and ktomminello: I'll look into those leaves! Will they affect the other fish, or can I put them directly into the tropical community tank?

They'll be fine with other fish. Just put the leaves straight in the tank.i actually use one "small" A grade leaf per 20 Gallons. I just use a piece in my smaller tanks.

Its important to note that indian almond leaves drop ph and will be neutralized by purigen and activated carbon. They will also turn your water brown with tannins.

Their main use is in debatedly aiding in preventing bacterial infections and dropping pH. The ph can be problematic if you have poorly buffered water or softer water. The tannins they release aggravate many hobbyists as well.

However, with your betta just having a split fin theres no quick fix. There isn't and bacterial involvement so the antibacterial remedies wont really help. It would be like taking an antibiotic for a stubbed toe.

Its important to note that indian almond leaves drop ph and will be neutralized by purigen and activated carbon. They will also turn your water brown with tannins.

Their main use is in debatedly aiding in preventing bacterial infections and dropping pH. The ph can be problematic if you have poorly buffered water or softer water. The tannins they release aggravate many hobbyists as well.

However, with your betta just having a split fin theres no quick fix. There isn't and bacterial involvement so the antibacterial remedies wont really help. It would be like taking an antibiotic for a stubbed toe.

Well put.... Except I'd say instead of a stubbed toe I'd liken it to a paper cut....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The leaves won't hurt anything but the pH. I use them in all my betta tanks and they are all happy and healthy. I don't mind the tannins. I look at it as preventative.

Okay, then- I guess I have no reason to worry. I'll look into the leaves- the pH in my tank is too high for my liking, anyway. I admit, I don't know how I feel about the leaves staining the water brown.

:thanks:

Okay, then- I guess I have no reason to worry. I'll look into the leaves- the pH in my tank is too high for my liking, anyway. I admit, I don't know how I feel about the leaves staining the water brown.

:thanks:

Some people like it, most people hate it with a passion.

If you hate it then you can always put carbon in your filter to take it out. I just use a piece of a leaf in most tanks.

If you hate it then you can always put carbon in your filter to take it out. I just use a piece of a leaf in most tanks.

Yeah, but the tannic acid which colors the water brown is what causes the drop in pH that OP is looking for. If you use carbon to remove the acid then it won't affect the pH at all.

Apollo has been flaring his fins at the filter. I don't think he can see his reflection in it, I think he's sees it as an enemy. Is this something I should be worried about, or can I keep laughing at him?

Apollo has been flaring his fins at the filter. I don't think he can see his reflection in it, I think he's sees it as an enemy. Is this something I should be worried about, or can I keep laughing at him?

I put a nylon over my intake filter, but I haven't seen whether your way of doing covers the valve. Could you post a pick so I could see a different way of doing things. I'm always interested.

I put a nylon over my intake filter, but I haven't seen whether your way of doing covers the valve. Could you post a pick so I could see a different way of doing things. I'm always interested.

Okay, I think it's uploading now. I'm not tech savvy at all. As you can (hopefully) see, the sponge covers the intake tube. It's about $3 at Petsmart. I put nylon on my filter at first, but it got clogged in three days. I've had this one for three weeks or so, and it still hasn't gotten clogged. Food constantly gets trapped on it, but my cory cats eat it right off.

I also uploaded a photo of Apollo. His fins are a little torn at the end, but they're not bad at all.

EDIT: I don't think it worked. Help? I have it on my computer.

Okay, I tried again.

Yay! It worked.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 90
Okay, I tried again.

Yay! It worked.

Interesting. I've never seen that before. Cool. I've had my nylon covering my intake valve where I've been keeping platy fry for about 10 weeks and it has never clogged. Were you using the nylons that are outdated leg wear? That was what I used!

Back
Top Bottom