Oh no!!!!! my peacock gudgeons have laid eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
First let me say that this is the first time i have an egg layer laying eggs, therefore i am absolutely thrilled. I was minding my own business when i noticed that the tank seemed quiet today. normally i would have otos, CPOs, and my gudgeons swimming around the tank. Out of curiosity i went to look for the gudgeons. To my surprise, the pair of gudgeons have laid tons of eggs in the cave of one of my dragon stones. I'm so happy and thrilled!!!!!!

Here's the problem, i'm MOVING THIS WEEK!!!. I have absolutely no mean of taking care of the eggs at all. I'm frantically search for egg care info and how to raise the baby fry. Hopefully everyone will survive the relocation process this week.

here's some pictures

Attachments

• IMG622.jpg
    IMG622.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG623.jpg
    IMG623.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG626.jpg
    IMG626.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 140
Ohhh noooooo!!! That isn't cool...and I'm sorry I don't know anything about raising the fry

make sure that when u move it is fully submerged in the water and use the same water from tank and put parent with it to in a plastic box or bucket for them all to fit

as of right now, the female has left the cave, which is expected. the male is in the cave fanning the eggs. i have turned off the HOB filter since the filter is located right above the pile of dragon stones that the pair has decided to spawn

supposedly the baby frys feeds on infusoria. so i have put some lettuce and crushed algae wafer in a 20oz gatorate bottle with 2/3 filled with water from my planted tank.

this is the first time i'm feeding infusoria and frankly i have no idea what im doing. won't the water in the bottle be toxic due to lack of air (i put the cap on the gatorade and screwed tight). and how do i feed it to the frys? dump the entire bottle? i'm so used to baby brine shrimps:angel:

i was worried for a minute because the male came of the cave as well. maybe he was chasing the otos away or the female gudgeon away, but now he's back to the cave and fanning again. the small egg that got dropped out of the cave is now gone, no idea what happened to it

so it takes about 5-8 days for the eggs to hatch (last night marks day 1 i suppose), which barely buys me enough time to get everything. i'm going to see if i can get a sponge filter today and some fry food. some reported these frys eat baby brine shrimps while others said they need infusoria. since i just started infusoria last night, i reckon i won't make it on time

it doesn't look well guys. the eggs started to look white and fuzzy. i believe fungus has taken over most if not all of the eggs. not sure if this is due to lack of water flow or some sort of filtration. next time i will get some mythl blue?????(not sure about the spelling and can someone plz correct me)

I must applause the male gudgeon for the job he's been doing. After three days in the original tank i have decided to move the dragonstone where the spawning happened to a tank powered by sponge filter. as i gently took the dragonstone, the daddy fish actually REMAINED inside the spawning cave and didn't move an inch. other fish that i have had experienced with would run away at first sight of potential "danger".

As soon as i put the fish, egg, and rock into the smaller tank the dad resumed fanning of the eggs. i hope some of the eggs do hatch, but chances are slim

I hope some eggs hatch. Methylene blue should be added once the eggs are laid to prevent the growth of eggs.

so this morning i woke up early(around 6) to check on the eggs because i was disappointed of seeing the fuzzy stuffs on the eggs since yesterday.

the dad has moved out of the cave and looking around his surroundings and i thought to myself the eggs are probably dead. TO MY SURPRISE, i see about half dozen eggs with two dots on each one of them, this is a GREAT SIGN!!!!!:) and before long, the dad comes back to the cave and starts to fan again, so he hasn't given up yet. i wish i could post a pic but my phone isn't great in low light setting. the lighting is low to avoid unnecessary stress due to on and off of the timer

alright guys, all of the eggs that survive the fungus infection has hatched. the frys are tiny and transparent, just slightly bigger than pin size. i did a headcount about 6-8 of them. i have injected some infusoria into the tank (the infusoria smells btw, not sure if it's fish safe). i will drop some frozen baby brine shrimps today.

Attachments

• IMG633.jpg
    IMG633.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom