Oh where oh where can my guppy be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulmorgan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.

Recently went away for three days and when i returned my blue guppy has just vanished, no remains nothing, not even a tail! was quite distressing. I have a 48 litre tank with guppys, mollies and 2 swordtails fish seem happy and peacefull is this a common thing?

Hi all.

Recently went away for three days and when i returned my blue guppy has just vanished, no remains nothing, not even a tail! was quite distressing. I have a 48 litre tank with guppys, mollies and 2 swordtails fish seem happy and peacefull is this a common thing?

I don't know that but i owned some guppy's and they are top dwellers, so if one vanished it's probably not be a good sign. If your aquarium has a lid, i won't bother with checking on the floor, if you don't i would check.

Maybe behind the filter or behind any other equipment?

Sorry for your loss !

Ian

oh where oh where can my guppy be

Thanks ian,

Yeah have full hood on tank so it couldnt of escaped, have checked filter n emptied everything else out is gone and no remains are left! oh well on the plus side i noticed a little baby in the tank, looks like a swordtail but they are both male, could it of breed with a molly or platy?? circle of life i guess ive named him jesus as he was born when i was away for christmas

Thanks ian,

Yeah have full hood on tank so it couldnt of escaped, have checked filter n emptied everything else out is gone and no remains are left! oh well on the plus side i noticed a little baby in the tank, looks like a swordtail but they are both male, could it of breed with a molly or platy?? circle of life i guess ive named him jesus as he was born when i was away for christmas

Strange !

I have read online and it appears that swordtails and platties can breed. So welcome Jesus ! :D cool name :D

About the lost one, could it be that he got eaten? Because that would explain alot?

Ian

im guessing it must of died and been eaten, suprised no remains at all tho, tank is very peacefull tho so dont think it would of been killed, had just added a panda cory that day so am looking at it with a little suspicion now :),

Try removing decorations, etc, see if it's hiding. Assuming it did die and was eaten, the water quality may be off (ammonia, etc). I'd do a substrate vac with a good sized water change in case it did die and decay in there.

im guessing it must of died and been eaten, suprised no remains at all tho, tank is very peacefull tho so dont think it would of been killed, had just added a panda cory that day so am looking at it with a little suspicion now :),

I don't think a panda Cory would of harmed it. I have a school of nine ( one baby) and they don't harm anyone

Unless your tank is essentially sealed off, you can't necessarily rule an airborne escape. I would still look around the tank, especially behind it, for your missing fish. I've lost several Platies on several different occasions because the escaped through the hole cut in the lid for the filter.

nah, ive already checked all around tank n everywhere it could poss be, just suprised theres not like a tail or some sort of remains, oh well hes gone and not coming back so ill go and get balloo 2 2morow:(

I had the same problem too. I had a lid on my tank and one day my guppy was gone with no remains. Pretty weird

i know thought ud at least find its pretty tail :(, def didnt escape have checked everywhere around tank

I don't understand how... All I have are guppies and a couple black neons and it was gone

Back
Top Bottom