ohh no, leaving town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
so im going out of town for 4 days ill be home on monday is it ok to use those feeding pyramids or should i get one of these auto feeders? its whatever is best i dont care how much

Don't use a pyramid. They foul the water terribly. You can get an auto-feeder if you want, but most fish would be absolutely fine without food for 4 days.

thats what my friend said but i wanted to come here first ill be here thursday and monday to feed just the 3 days in between

They should be completely fine. I've fasted multiple tanks for up to 5 days. Feed them the usual amount before you go and when you get back. Fight the urge to give them extra... well maybe just a bit of a treat if you feel guilty. ;) Just don't overdo it.

just water change the day before check your filters dont over feed the day your leaving and everything will be fine. fish are fine for a week or more. i had a tank where i was out of town for 10 days no one feed it thinking there wasnt fish in there for some reason. no deaths.

if you do get someone to feed them which isnt needed put the days food in a zip lock bag and hide the rest of the food. people who dont know what they are doing can cause way more harm then not feeding them.

Auto Feeders

I will be away for 16 days and there is no one I would trust to feed them. Can I leave them that long? I have to top up the tank and empty the skimmer every few days. Short of hiring someone from the LFS, does anyone have any ideas?
As I have a reef tank with a fair current, I would need a feeder that will put the food underwater or it will float to the filter before the fish can eat.

might want to post in the sw section. in a fw tank i would make little baggies of the food for each day. this way they cant over fee them. just hide all the food.

Neil: You should be fine with the big guys; the tetras and glo-fish would be the concern. If they look OK now, probably don't need to worry about it.

IF you decide to auto-feed: I'm a single guy who won't bug his friends about feeding, and when I do travel it's for 7 days or so... so, I have two auto-feeders. They're only geared for flake or disc type food, and the one thing I've found is that they will overfeed compared to my sparing habit of 'just enough'. So if you get a feeder, test it first, and start small! Set one up, and let it dump dry food on a piece of paper or something; then you'll know what it is doing. Lost a fish by testing in-tank; ammonia rose too much after a test.

MarkhanDave: the auto-feeders could apply to your reef fish if you have dry food that they'd eat, but like mgamer says, check with the saltwater people.

Back
Top Bottom