Oily film on water surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's indeed an oily film and not cloudy water, it can come from a lot of sources. Aerosol propellents, cooking fumes, even skin oil can make that film.

I`m a SW person but Surface aggitation does a good job of breaking it up. I`ve also seen people put a paper towel on top of it and then pull it out.

Ive seen this atributed to oil skin alot, especially if you have lotion or something on when you reach in the tank.

I have this problem about once or so a month, and when it starts to happen I notice the bubbles float around on the surface longer before they pop. The water just looks thick. But then I started noticing my aqueon filter was filled and the water was just bypassing the filter, getting run through a pump and dumped back into the tank. So I started keeping an eye on it, and whenever I notice the film start to appear and the bubbles start taking longer to pop, I just change out my filter and it goes away within a day.
Good luck!

Sit dechlorinated water in a cup or bowl for a few days with no agitation and you'll see the same thing. I used to have bio-film appear on my tanks, then I increased surface agitation by means of a spray bar... haven't seen it since.

This used to happen to my 72 gallon. I never found out why, but I wound up relating it to my oily skin (don't be grossed out, I'm not greasy, just have excess oil on my hands ;)) Anyway, like others have said, agitation breaks it up nicely. It always occurred in the dead spots of my tank.

See? Lol
img_1174132_0_0821108bbf58a385baf2f805a89128d3.jpg

Surface agitation is the key.

As my water level drops from evaporation my AC70 causes a lot more surface agitation. I guess I had my water level a little to high? Now the film is barely noticeable. :p

Back
Top Bottom