Oily looking surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishnewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, the surface on my tank has what I can only describe as very thin oily patches on it. Does anybody know what it can be?

It`s called a protien sheen. If you have an overflow it will run down it and mix back in the water. If you dont just get a PH and point it slightly to the surface to aggitate the surface and it should go away. Is this a FW or Sw tank?

Fw and it's been cycled and running with 6 neons and 6 zebra danios for almost a fortnight. My tank is a trigon 190 litre with the standard filter etc. I don't understand what you mean by an overflow in the tank sorry - this is all new to me!!

An overflow would be on a tank with a sump. I guess we'll assume you don't have one. Increase surface agitation. A powerhead will work, or if you have a canister filter, disturbing the surface with that will make it go away.

Moving this to the FW general discussion forum. This is the wrong forum for it.

being fresh water you probably don't have/need a overflow so I'll skip that part... basically the film will lessen/go away if you add a bit more surface agitation with either a bubble wand, or if you have a HOB filter drop the water level a tad...little waves is what you are looking for. oh and its (the film) not going to hurt much of anything either, both my 10g and 3g get/have it almost always, I can only deal with it in the 10 as I have a power head and once a week turn on the bubbles, which seem to put the otos i have in it, into little speed freaks.

Sorry i am being really stupid but what is a hob filter? My filter is the one that comes with the jewel trigon 190litre. Not sure what kind it is.
The tank has a lot of fish poo infront of my driftwood, I only did water change 3 days ago! Is the filter supposed to get rid of it or do I have to use vacuum every couple of days?
Thank you for any help!

As long as it doesnt affect your parametera ( ammo, nitrite and nitrate) vacum once a week during your periodic water changes (PWC).

Thank you!! I only have 5 zebra danios and 5 neons so wouldn't think they'd make that much mess.

I did cycle it and readings were fine and still are. I've had fish in tank for 2 weeks approx. Apart from dw leaking tanins into water everything else I think is ok.

Yes then, if you dont like seeing it vacuum if not, wait until your pwc. Do you have any live plants?

I have 4 and they seem fine. Will attach a pic

Attachments

• image-3668507601.jpg
    image-3668507601.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1603213605.jpg
    image-1603213605.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 97
Real just hoping I can get this sorted as I want to get a Siamese fighter on Wednesday!!! He's gorgeous!

Yes, looking real nice. If your fish arent doing very well Id hold off any new fish until everything is under control.

HOB = hang On Back, probably applies to those that work the same but sit in the tank like the one on my 3gallon tank.

Demonknight said:
HOB = hang On Back, probably applies to those that work the same but sit in the tank like the one on my 3gallon tank.

Yes that's right. The ones that sit inside however are normally call "box filters" though. The tank looks neat! Did it come with that background?

No I put on the background about a week or so before I put in water and did the whole cycling thing. Took ages but I'm pleased with the results. Just need a few more bigger plants.
What type of bottom cleaners should I get with sand substrate?
I've already got a plec that seemingly only cleans my driftwood, can't remember it's name - was told it grows to about 3 to 4 inches if that's any help! Hardly ever see them (2) as they hide in a cave I built.

Back
Top Bottom