ok betta tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilme

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a betta in tengallons about to go in 15 or 29 gallon tank what tank mates can he have:)

It really depends on the betta- some are docile and other are aggressive. Make sure you have a backup plan!

I have a male betta with black phantom tetras, rummy nose tetras, harlequin rasboras, and Cory cats and I will soon add two African dwarf frogs. They are all in a 36 gallon tank.
The betta pretty much ignores they, but will occasionally chase this one black phantom tetra that steals his food from right in front of him, but gives up after 2 seconds.

Be sure the tank mates don't look like the betta (aka no flowing colorful find like guppies), are not fun nippers (no barbs), and are PEACEFUL tropical community fish. Hiding places are a must. Put the betta in last.

I will repeat this once more: every betta's different, so be sure to have a backup plan. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ok he ate his shrimp mates but he was up aggenst a tropical fish tank for awayle he always seemed to like my mollys so would it work out if i put some mollys in or no

Trial and error really. Set up the tank add all the fish you want to then add the Betta last so that he has no previously established territory prior to induction. Cory cats are a good option as well as any fish that won't nip at fins and don't have long fins.

so yes or no on mollys i get the sweet little bloon mollys and dalation

Cory cats, neon tetra, apple snails, shrimp, and african dwarf frogs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

so yes or no on mollys i get the sweet little bloon mollys and dalation

I wouldn't, just because mollies prefer brackish water and bettas and the other fish don't

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Polkadots said it best in the first sentence. "It really depends on the betta". I adopted one who was kept in a tank with 2 females which is rare in itself, which clued me in on him being a good option to adding a betta to my community tank. Petco will keep docile bettas in tanks with other fish as examples of one you could add to an already established tank. If you already have a betta but want to add more fish to his tank it's a horrible idea being that he will feel territorial over "his" tank. always add the betta last. And hiding places is a must.

drink more beer

Oh... and my Betta lives with 20 platties, 5 Pintail guppies, 10 golden barbs, 5 cherry barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 7 neon tetras, 3 upside-down catfish, 1 pleco, and 1 crayfish. All live happily together.

drink more beer

Mollies do fine in brackish or fresh water. I wouldn't recommend keeping a betta with mollies in that size tank simply because mollies are manic and aggressive eaters that will sometimes fin nip slower moving fish with large, flowing fins. Corydoras, tetras such as rummynose, cardinal, ember, etc, harlequin rasboras, beckford pencilfish, kuhli loaches, otocinclus and many others would all be peaceful tankmates that could work. As already noted though just be sure to have a backup plan in case the betta is overly aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom