OK for Rings In Aquaclear 110 To Not Be Entirely Submersed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I guess the title is pretty self-explanatory (the top of the bag is above the water line) and this is my first experience with an HOB.

Thanks!

Hi, I don't use HOBs myself but if the rings are not submerged then they are basically ineffective. If not submerged, then they will dry out and any bacteria on them will die.....

is it possible to spread the o-rings out more inside the mesh bag? i made the mistake of bunching them up too close and had the same problem.

if not and only a few of the rings are out of the water then that should be ok

is it possible to spread the o-rings out more inside the mesh bag? i made the mistake of bunching them up too close and had the same problem.

if not and only a few of the rings are out of the water then that should be ok

Thanks.

I definitely need to get a new bag -- knew I cut it too short the moment I cut it!

another option for the mean time if it worrys you is to cut the sponge long ways so it is shorter when placed in the filter, that way the rings will sit lower

If you are using the carbon insert/bag, remove it and reclaim some space in your filter.

I added extra rings to my HOB for additional biomedia. Instead of placing them in a bag, I tied a length of fishing line through one ring, fed the line through the remaining rings and tied off the line on the last ring. This way it pretty much conforms to the area you place them and are still easy to retrieve.

If you are using the carbon insert/bag, remove it and reclaim some space in your filter.

I added extra rings to my HOB for additional biomedia. Instead of placing them in a bag, I tied a length of fishing line through one ring, fed the line through the remaining rings and tied off the line on the last ring. This way it pretty much conforms to the area you place them and are still easy to retrieve.

That is genius!!!!!

That is genius!!!!!

I started stringing the rings when I was running cartridge style HOBs. Had to figure out how to utilize the vertical space. I dropped in the (loose) rings once and when it was time to charge the cartridge it was a mess trying to retrieve them from the bottom of the filter.

My BioMax sack used to be pushed above the water line in the media basket as well when I used to stuff sacks of Purigen above the sponge but beneath the layer of BioMax...I was afraid, as well, that this would kill exposed bacteria, and perhaps it did because we had BAD luck and a lot of deaths with/in that tank...still, I think what had been suggested regarding the fact that if just a couple of rings or inches are exposed it shouldn't kill an entire colony is pretty accurate...

Back
Top Bottom