OK, I messed up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got home with a huge pair of Bosemani Rainbows ($25 a piece). After gradually adjusting them over a hour and a half, I released them into their new home. Well, that's when the Tiger Barbs (I know, I know-they nip slower moving fish. These Tiger Barbs are big but they have been very peaceful with their tank mates thus far) started to nip the new addition. It was actually pretty relentless and we had to immediately remove the barbs. (Simple economics-Barbs $3 a piece, B Rainbows $25 a piece). Well, my only tank is a 50 Gallon sitting empty and waiting for a shipment of 15 African Cichlids on Tuesday. Can the barbs live with them? I don't think so but you never know.

I'm not sure about the barbs and Africans, but would it be possible for you to take the barbs to your LFS? You probably won't get any money for them, but at least they won't be picked on when your Africans show up.

Actually, if the barbs are "big" as stated before, then I'd be more worried about the Africans early on. After a while though, the tables will definitely turn.

tiger barbs are schooling fish.. there water parameters are pretty wide as well.. they can handle a wide range of hardness levels up to 10 KH..ph not as much.. but they could be acclimated. at first I would think they would be a threat to africans but if you had a school of them.. in the tank they could probably live with aficans as long as they are not really big ones.. Im guessing there not that big since your tank is not extremely large.. this is just a observation... hope this helps..

$25 for Bosemani Rainbows?!? You got taken dude.

You might try taking the barbs back to the LFS anyway. I called and asked if they would just even take back a bunch of my fish when I was changing to a predator tank and the guy said no. So I had my good looking girlfriend show up with all the same fish the guy said he couldn't take on the phone. Not only did he take them, but she got a $35 credit.

BTW, the only time I've ever kept tiger barbs is in a 12g I used to have. They were 9 of them in there by themselves and it worked out well, but they are too mean to mix with a lot of fish.

$25 for Bosemani Rainbows?!? You got taken dude.

Dude, they are about 12 bucks everywhere I look on-line for the smaller ones (1.5 to 2"). Then shipping, etc. etc. These are 3"+ & healthy. He has had them in there for a long time. I figured it was worth it. :wink: (I'm just trying to justify being taken, FYI.)

Hmmm....I like you tactic with the hot girlfriend. You think that would work with my pregnant wife (8 months) & our four daughters??? We might get some donations out of that visit! :lol:

The barbs are pretty big (2") and there are only 4 of them.

Worst case scenario they take them off your hands at least, just show up with them in a bag and what can they do?

Actually these guys are the rudest people I have ever encountered in any store....They really act annoyed that you even enter into their store. I just got back from there and told my wife to remind me never to shop there again. Looks like I'm only doing online stuff from here on out.

Back
Top Bottom