Ok...I'm getting pretty frustrated with the new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The story:

As many of you may remember I was heat treating this tank for ich when I went on vacation and I turned the ac off.Lost four fish while I was gone and had to assume the tank got too hot.Still think thats the case.

But...I repopulated the tank with more tigerbarbs,a few cherry barbs and another algea eater.I did break a rule of thumb though and bought these new fish on delivery day...something I never do....so I knew that I may lose some of these fish for whatever reason.

So when I lost the tigerbarb I didn't give it much thought.Then one of the cherry barbs was dead the next day (yesterday).Now today another cherry barb is dead...not sure if either was the origanal one or new one....at least one of the two had to be new as there only one in the tank before the new poplation was added.

What really worries me is the kissing fish that died today as well.This was not a new purchase and was in the tank before the vacation and survived the heat up while I was gone.

I don't have a clue as to whats going on.The 3 rosies and rainbow are part of the first fish added and look to be doing really well.The water tests pefectly.As far as the fish that have died I could see nothing as far as symptoms....just either found em dead in the morning,or found em checking out.
One thing I have seen that may be a clue is on occasion I do see a fish swimming in one place,but pointing straight down.Not sure if these are the ones that died or not and I havn't seen it often but I thought I'd mention it.

Is there some medication I should add?Something that cures lots of different stuff? any thoughts are appreciated because I don't know what to think about this...I missing something,but i don't know what...

you already know what you did wrong. you bought fish that were stressed without giving the time to see which could survive and which could not.

yep...that does does explain 1,2and 3...and I knew it might happen....I made that clear.

But the 4th?and the point of the post?

Not sure what may be causing it, but I thing the only way you are going to be able to effectively battle it is through PWC's. If there's something in the tank, and is killing the fish, then do what's best for the fish to bring their immune system up, and that's making the water ultra pristine, and do 50% PWC's every other day for a week. If you can keep this high quality water, it should boost their immune systems and be able to fight off what they might have, and possibly end the cycle of fish dying. I would probably do this myself if I was in your shoes. I know it might be a hassle, but it's only temporary, then go back to your normal PWC schedule. The best way to fight any disease or problem is through water quality. And the fish do tend to enjoy PWC's, even if it's not needed. Mine like to swim around the Python output as I'm filling the tank back up. :)

Another possibility is adding some garlic suppliment to the fish's food. This supposedly also helps in boosting the fish's immune system. Just another thought.....

I did about 40% yesterday before I posted the intial post...it tested great,but it was the only thing I could think of to do.

So far today they all look good so perhaps its all good.I suppose its possible that the new died just because they would have died in the store if not purchased,and then I experienced one random death at the same time...I'm having a hard time convincing myself of that though....but I suppose it is possible.

I'll do the water changes as suggested wolf....it may not help,but it surely won't hurt,and I don't mind putting in the work.

Thanks as always,

Yup, it may work and may not. But in either case, if there is something, fresh water will help the fish, and the boost in the immune system from the water quality should overcome any problem, if there is any. I'm with you though, probably isn't anything, but it's better than taking chances. :)

Back
Top Bottom