Ok, im trying to settle a rumor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgr7781

Aquarium Advice Activist
If a fish can get 10 inches and you put it in a 10g will it stay small or keep growing? ALL INFO is helpful thanks

If a fish can get 10 inches and you put it in a 10g will it stay small or keep growing? ALL INFO is helpful thanks

It will stop growing externally but not internally resulting in stunting shorting the life span tremendously the inch per gallon rule is severely flawed and outdated

To my knowledge, fish never stop growing so in a 10 gallon tank the fish would just grow slower but I would not advise doing this as it is very cruel.

I depends. If water changes are rarely done and the nitrates and TDS build up then the fish will slow or stop growing. It will then result in a lowered immune system and eventually deformities (stunting). If the water is kept clean and healthy the fish will keep growing and eventually not have enough room. It's not the size of the tank but ultimately the poor water quality that's caused by a big fish in a small tank that causes stunting.

It's a 11 y/o tank and I doubt he will keep up with it. So he wants to get pictus catfish 1 and 2 Angels and about 3-4 zebras for a 10 I keep telling him that's way to many fish for a 10

It's a 11 y/o tank and I doubt he will keep up with it. So he wants to get pictus catfish 1 and 2 Angels and about 3-4 zebras for a 10 I keep telling him that's way to many fish for a 10

Yes you're right. Very young fish would be ok for a little while but eventually the water parameters could get out of hand, the fish will get too large or the fish will mature and territorial disputes will happen. Best to stick to fish that can stay in the tank without issue.

It will stop growing externally but not internally resulting in stunting shorting the life span tremendously the inch per gallon rule is severely flawed and outdated

This.

I depends. If water changes are rarely done and the nitrates and TDS build up then the fish will slow or stop growing. It will then result in a lowered immune system and eventually deformities (stunting). If the water is kept clean and healthy the fish will keep growing and eventually not have enough room. It's not the size of the tank but ultimately the poor water quality that's caused by a big fish in a small tank that causes stunting.

Plus this. But I disagree with the bolded part. Even with proper water changes some fish will eventually be stunted by tank size, it's just less common than water condition being the cause.

I keep telling him that. Shoot in my personal tank. It's been going for a month and a Half now and I got four snails and two emerald Cory's!

This.

Plus this. But I disagree with the bolded part. Even with proper water changes some fish will eventually be stunted by tank size, it's just less common than water condition being the cause.

Unless the fish physically doesn't have enough room I don't see how it is possible for the size of the tank itself to effect the fish's size. IMHO water quality throughout the fish's life has everything to do with it.

This.

I agree on this as well. It's not just water quality that is an issue with a fish that has the genetic potential for large growth. Dietary/malnutrition concerns are also likely. There is also a hormonal issue as well.

Fish release hormones that act as growth inhibitors. In nature, there is an ample supply of water and the levels are pretty much nonexistent unless fish are condensed into a very small area. It's been well documented the negative effects this has on growth and reproduction in natural environments.

Unless the fish physically doesn't have enough room I don't see how it is possible for the size of the tank itself to effect the fish's size. IMHO water quality throughout the fish's life has everything to do with it.

That is very well put water quality is the important factor here

EDIT

I agree on this as well. It's not just water quality that is an issue with a fish that has the genetic potential for large growth. Dietary/malnutrition concerns are also likely. There is also a hormonal issue as well.

Fish release hormones that act as growth inhibitors. In nature, there is an ample supply of water and the levels are pretty much nonexistent unless fish are condensed into a very small area. It's been well documented the negative effects this has on growth and reproduction in natural environments.

Seeing on how I should have read the responses first before I repeated her response, but JLK is spot on and no she's not crazy!

IMHO water quality throughout the fish's life has everything to do with it.

Yes water quality will have the largest effect, all fish release a growth inhibiting hormone which slows growth among other effects such as breeding. The more diluted this is the quicker the fish will grow, performing large daily water changes keeping the nitrate concentration below 10ppm will allow the fish to grow until he/she is unable to move.

Last edited:
Well... He got four zebra and 1 pictus catfish tonight. But I know he will beg for more.

Back
Top Bottom