Ok, last help! Please give me the best!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am putting the 2 ottos later on in my 10 gallon, not the frogs
So I want to put some good fish, active, the best that are available at petsmart
Dwarf gouramis, guppies, tetras, cherry barbs! What is the best option and how many in the 10 gallon

I don't know a lot about the others but with the dwarf gourami(s) they are territorial and can be aggressive. In that size tank you could only have one and in the long run that probably wouldn't be enough to keep it happy. It's generally peaceful towards other fish though so hopefully someone will shed light on those others for you.

Most of the tetras are too active to really be in a 10 gallon. Harlequin rasboras would do well though and their pretty cool. Be careful though, with a center piece fish bottom dwellers and a school of fish you're probably over stocking a bit. I have a betta and 5 rasboras in my ten gallon, personally I wouldn't put anything more than that in that small of a tank.

I agree with Zimmanski. But I must say that otto's are no easy fish to keep in the beginning period of you buying them(2months). They are known to be hardy, but when you buy them, it's known for them to die very quickly. I read it was because of the change of intestinal flora, so just watch out for that:)

I have had zero luck with ottos, and will never try them again. I spent over $100 on about 15 of them over the course of two years. They would always die within a week and my water parameters were always good. I had 3 survive for about 2 months, and they didn't help with algae at all. Booooooo

I had 2 ottos in my 10 gallon and they were great! They were best friends and would always lay together or be on the glass together. They are great for algae too. You have to be very careful acclimating them, thats where they usually die when people get them. For other fish i would go with 6 or so neon tetras.

Most of the tetras are too active to really be in a 10 gallon. Harlequin rasboras would do well though and their pretty cool. Be careful though, with a center piece fish bottom dwellers and a school of fish you're probably over stocking a bit. I have a betta and 5 rasboras in my ten gallon, personally I wouldn't put anything more than that in that small of a tank.

Are harlequin rasboras sicsortail rasboras?

Ok, I'll give the ottos a shot!
How exactly do you have to acclimate them

You can drip acclimate them or I floated the bags for 20 minutes then poked small holes wait 10 minutes open the holes a little bigger and open up the bag 10-20 minutes later and let them swim out themselves. I would put them in first all alone so they have minimum stress and turn off the lights for the rest of the day after you put them in.

So when you mean leave them alone, do I have to take all my other fish out?

Well if you already have fish in there it should be fine. Its just better without. I would take all the fish out, it would just stress them out too. Just turn off the lights after you put them in.

You can drip acclimate them or I floated the bags for 20 minutes then poked small holes wait 10 minutes open the holes a little bigger and open up the bag 10-20 minutes later and let them swim out themselves.

I strongly advise not following this methodolgy. Poking holes in the bag the fish are in will allow the water they are swimming in into the tank. You should be taking precautions to not allow water from a lfs into your tank as this may introduce parasites, bacteria and other unwanted items.

To Goldfishboy, check out UTube for for easy how-to videos on drip acclimation. Nothing fancy is needed other than a bucket and 3-4ft of airtube hose.

Well, what I do is that I put the bag floating on the water for about 15 minutes, then I get the net and introduce themo

I strongly advise not following this methodolgy. Poking holes in the bag the fish are in will allow the water they are swimming in into the tank. You should be taking precautions to not allow water from a lfs into your tank as this may introduce parasites, bacteria and other unwanted items.

To Goldfishboy, check out UTube for for easy how-to videos on drip acclimation. Nothing fancy is needed other than a bucket and 3-4ft of airtube hose.

Well I get all my fish from a well trusted LFS. So I dont have problems with that. But if you are getting them from somewhere like petsmart I would recommend drip acclimation.

Yea, I get them from petsmart
So, I guess something I would really like is a group of 5 male guppies and one dwarf gourami or one swordtail, so s a dwarf gourami or swordtail better with guppies?

Oto's don't do well in newer tank set ups as I mentioned in another one of your posts. They have to best chance of survival in a mature tank of 4 to 6 months of age. The reason Oto's tend not to do well is because they are almost all wild caught and often cyanide is used during capture. They also tend not to eat foods added to the tank so having a mature tank with bio-film and small amounts of naturally occuring algae is needed. They are also sensitive to flexuating water parameters which is another reason they do better in a mature balanced tank.

Back
Top Bottom