OK new fish owner issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mother

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was cycling my new tank when I was handed a dilemma. My in-laws had a large comet living in a skanky green 10 gallon tank with a dying filter. I agreed to take on the monster, and added 2 more baby comets and 2 black moores. Later I added a cory, and some snails for bottom cleaning (2 snails).

now you got the background story...here comes the dilemma..

I am informed that my goldfish require at least 20 gals per fish. One has passed away, leave me with one giant one, and 3 small ones. 80 gallons is 50 more then I have. What do I do with the two moores and the surviving comet? I really can't separate with the large comet. Can you bring fish back? Do you feed them to other fish? do you dare people to eat them?

seriously...do I just donate them to the store or what?

I've read its 10-20g...

Obviously a single 10g is way too small for those guys. Can you do a 40g? Remember, the biggest issue with goldies is the waste production; if you go with a 40g I strongly suggest over filtering.

If you haven't checked out www.goldfishinfo.com you might want to see if they have any suggestions as well as the ones you get from here :)

10 gallons is definately too small, but anything over 30 gallons will be an improvement. They definately need to get out of the 10 gallon, so if you have a 30 gallon tank, that will be a good solution in the short run. You'll probably still want to bump them even larger later on if at all possible.

And much agreeing with Allivymar. You need filration - lots. They're ammonia factories :)

If you can get a pond, the comets will be happiest! :)
Don't laugh, I read in the "Why you want FW" thread, someone started out with a 10 gal & 11 months later ended up with a 100 gal pond, plus assorted tanks!

Seriously, why don't you take the 10 gal the comet was in, and use that to house 2 or 3 of the babies. The 2 black mores will do fine in a 10 gal for probably a year or more, although ideally they shoud be in a 20 gal once they get to be 4-5" big.

But yes, if you feel you need to, the lfs will usually take back fish and give in-store credit and get your cory some company. Or trade them to fraternities for beer. I usually choose the beer option. Just don't give the beer to the remaining fish. It's only funny for about three (3) minutes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom